Join us for an amazing behind-the-scenes tour of the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and the Goddard Information and Collaboration Center. The GFSC is a major space research laboratory in Greenbelt, Maryland. In 2016, the Library of Congress and FEDLink recognized the Goddard Information and Collaboration Center as the federal library of the year.
The tour will include a discussion with information professionals about re-imagining library spaces and improving and marketing library services. This tour will be of interest to law librarians wanting to learn about federal law libraries; librarians wanting to learn how to improve their library spaces or marketing of services; and anyone who wants to have a good time with other LLAMers!
This is a “bring your own bag lunch” tour. Bring your own lunch or purchase lunch at the on-site cafeteria. See below for more information, including important details about the visitor policy and registration.
- Date: Thursday, September 13, 2018.
- Time: 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Two part program consisting of library tour followed by a tour of the Goddard Space Flight Center)
- Location: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, 8800 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20771.
- Description & Itinerary:
This tour will consist of two parts: A tour of the Goddard Information and Collaboration Center and a meeting with librarians and information professionals followed by a tour of the Goddard Space Flight Center. Visitors may opt out of the GFSC portion of the tour.
If attending the tour portion of the GSFC visit, please note that closed toe shoes are required. Tours generally require the ability to travel 100 feet and negotiate some stairs. Most of the tours are fully accessible, however, the laboratory may require some stair climbing.
+ 11:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.: Arrival and parking at NASA Main Gate located on Greenbelt Road. Please arrive no later than 11:15 a.m.
+ 11:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Meet at the Goddard Visitor Center for security and screening.
+ 11:30 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.: Visitors may purchase food to eat the cafeteria.
+ 11:50 p.m. to 12:50 p.m.: Tour of the Goddard Information and Collaboration Center
+ 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.: GSFC Tour
- Deadline to Register: Registration is required. The deadline for U.S. Citizens to register is August 31, 2018. The deadline for foreign nationals or permanent residents to register is August 1, 2018.
- Must bring a valid form of identification (driver’s license, passport, military identification, or a permanent resident card (green card)) in order to gain access to the campus. There is additional screening required for international participants which requires coordination by GSFC’s Protective Services Division prior to arriving on campus.
- Will have their belongings scanned as part of the security clearance
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
Foreign Visitors (e.g. permanent residents (“green card” holders), representatives of foreign governments or foreign industry)
An additional screening process will be conducted by GSFC’s Protective Services Division. Request for documentation will be coordinated by International Visitor Coordinator. ALL visitors much have prior approval before arriving to the GSFC.
Visitor Parking: Free parking is available on-site.
Dining: Bring your own lunch or purchase food at the cafeteria. Generally, the cost for lunch is $6.00 – $10.00.
RSVP: Reserve your space today! Space is limited and visitor approval is required. Email Jason Hawkins (jhawkins @ law.umaryland.edu). The deadline for U.S. Citizens to register is August 31, 2018. The deadline for foreign nationals or permanent residents to register is August 1, 2018.