The March/April 2019 issue of AALL Spectrum features a leader profile of LLAM’s own Adeen Postar, Director of the University of Baltimore Law Library. Through this profile, “Rising to the Challenge,” Adeen Postar describes her journey to becoming a library director. She also shares reflections on law librarianship, professional development, legal education, and involvement with AALL.
Join us for LLAM’s March Program, A Chapter Visit and Lunch with AALL Immediate Past President, Greg Lambert. Greg Lambert is the Chief Knowledge Services Officer at Jackson Walker LLP, and was the president of AALL from 2017 to 2018, culminating with last summer’s Annual Meeting in Baltimore. Chapter visits provide an opportunity for members of local chapters to hear about national initiatives and share suggestions and concerns about issues confronting the profession and the Association.
Lunch will be served, and following the program there will be tour of the Maryland State Law Library’s Special Collections.
This program will be of interest to all LLAM members. We hope to see you there!!
- Date: Friday, March 29, 2019
- Time: Noon to 1:30 p.m.*
Maryland State Law Library
361 Rowe Blvd, Annapolis, MD 21401
- Directions and Parking: Information on directions and parking is available at: https://www.lawlib.state.md.us/aboutus/directions.html. Note that the building is under construction, but the main entrance is open.
- Entry Requirements: The Maryland State Law Library is located in the Robert C. Murphy Courts of Appeal Building. All visitors must pass through a security checkpoint before entering the Maryland State Law Library.
- RSVP: To RSVP, contact Chi Song (email@example.com) by Tuesday, March 26, 2019. Please note any dietary restrictions you may have!
* LLAM Board Meeting. The day of the program, Friday, March 29, 2019, there will be a LLAM Board Meeting at the Maryland State Law Library from 11 a.m. to noon. All LLAM Board Members and Committee Chairs are asked to attend.
Update: This program was recorded. You may watch the program here.
Join us for LLAM’s first program of 2019, Negotiating Contracts with E-Resource Vendors, featuring Erica Owusu, Acquisitions & Licensing Coordinator for the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) Library Consortium. USMAI is a consortium of 17 libraries at universities and colleges in the State of Maryland.
Ms. Owusu will provide practical advice and strategies for engaging in constructive negotiations with electronic resource vendors. This program will be of interest to library managers, technical and electronic resources librarians, and other librarians or information professionals that work with e-resource licensing and acquisition.
This is a BYO Brown Bag Lunch Program. We hope to see you there!*
*A LLAM Board Meeting will precede the program, from noon to 1:00 p.m, in the same location as the LLAM program. A virtual meeting option will be available (details to follow).
- Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019
- Time: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Location: Thurgood Marshall Law Library, Room 4403, University of Maryland Carey School of Law, 500 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. Room 4403 is located on the fourth floor of the Library. Visitors may ask for directions to the room at the User Services Desk at the main entrance to the Library.
- Parking: Visitors may park in the Baltimore Grand Garage, 55 N. Paca Street, Baltimore, MD, 21201, which is directly across the street from the Law School. The parking fee is $7 for one hour or $9 for two hours. Street parking is also available for a fee.
- Identification Requirements: Law School visitors are required to show photo identification to enter the building. Acceptable forms of identification include driver’s licenses, passports, military identification, or staff identification from a University System of Maryland institution.
- RSVP: To RSVP, contact Jason Hawkins at (jhawkins @ law.umaryland.edu) by Thursday, January 24, 2019.
Join us for LLAM’s November program, a conversation with Ms. Heidi Daniel, the new President and CEO of the Enoch Pratt Free Library.
Ms. Daniel was named President and CEO of the Pratt Library in April 2017. Previously, she was the Executive Director of Ohio’s Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County.
Ms. Daniel will discuss her vision for Enoch Pratt and her views on issues common to all types of libraries. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions, network, and lay the groundwork for future collaborations between Enoch Pratt and law libraries in the State of Maryland.
This program will be of interest to all law librarians interested in developing library services for different patron groups or networking and working together with public libraries.
This is a (BYO) Brown Bag Lunch program. We hope to see you there!*
*A LLAM Board Meeting will precede the program, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., in the same location as the LLAM program. A virtual meeting option will be available (details to follow).
- Date: Tuesday, November 13 ,2018
- Time: 2:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M.
- Location: University of Baltimore Law Library, Classroom #912, 1401 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21201.
- Parking: Garage and street parking are available for a fee. Visitor parking information is available online. Directions are also available.
- RSVP: To RSVP, contact Jason Hawkins at (jhawkins @ law.umaryland.edu) by Friday, November 9, 2018.
Thanks to everyone who came out to support LLAM’s September program, a behind-the-scenes tour of the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) and the Goddard Information and Collaboration Center (GIC2) in Greenbelt, Maryland. At the GIC2, we were treated to a great presentation about the history of the library, space planning, and marketing. Our tour of the GSFC was led by a fantastic tour guide and we visited several testing chambers and the massive cleanroom where the mirrors were installed on the James Webb Space Telescope.
Thanks to everyone who came out to support LLAM’s August program featuring Dr. Jamie Walter, Director of Court Operations, Administrative Office of the Courts; and Dr. Ursula Gorham-Oscilowski, lecturer at the University of Maryland, College Park, College of Information Studies. For those of you could not make it, please check out our recording of the program.
On Friday, August 3, several LLAM board members and committee chairs came together for a friendly afternoon of food and drink at the beautiful home of incoming LLAM VP, Simon Canick. However, it wasn’t all fun and food! The LLAMers also discussed LLAM business matters and upcoming programs.
Pictured in main photo above from left to right are James Gernert (Board Member and Chair, Grants Committee), Pat Behles (Co-chair, Membership Committee), Elizabeth Simmons (Secretary), Jason Hawkins (President), and Vickie Yiannoulou (Board Member). Simon Canick (Vice President) pictured in photos below.