This gallery contains 6 photos.
Save the Date!
LLAM Spring Fling
Thursday, May 19, 2016, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
RSVP required if you want an opportunity to climb to the top! More information on the climb can be found at: https://mvpconservancy.showare.com/ .
Mount Vernon Place
699 Washington Place
Baltimore, MD 21201
For directions and parking information to Mount Vernon Place and the Washington Monument, visit: http://mvpconservancy.org/parking-directions/ .
5:00-7:00 p.m. – Once the monument closes (at 5pm) head on down to Spirits of Mount Vernon (address below) for a fabulous reception. There will be wines specially selected for LLAM and snacks for every palette. The cost for this event is $12.
To purchase tickets for the event, you may send a check addressed to “LLAM” to the LLAM Treasurer:
Thea C. Warner, Librarian
Niles, Barton, & Wilmer, LLP
111 South Calvert Street, Suite 1400
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Hope to see you there!
The new Board members will assume their duties at the conclusion of the LLAM Spring Fling event, which will be held in May. Special thanks to Kate Martin for arranging our election!
President: CJ Pipins
VP/President-Elect: Julia Viets
Secretary: Sophie Le
Treasurer: Thea Warner
Board Member: Elizabeth Lukes
Board Member: Joe Neumann
Immediate Past President: James Durham
LLAM is offering a grant to cover the cost of registration for the AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, July 16-19, 2016, in Chicago.
The LLAM Grants Committee will evaluate an application on the following criteria:
• Lack of financial assistance from employer and/or financial need
• Promise of individual professional development
• Relevance or expressed interest in Annual Meeting program or event
Priority will be given to individuals who are not previous grant recipients, who have not recently attended the AALL Annual Meeting, and who are active members of LLAM.
Grant recipient will write a 250-500 word blog post summarizing and commenting on a program or activity that was especially valuable during the conference.
Deadline for submission: All applications must be received no later than Friday, April 22.
To apply for the grant, please fill out the application below. You must be a member of LLAM and AALL at the time of application to qualify for the LLAM grant.
In 2015, our LLAM Secretary received a notice from the AALL Bylaws and Resolutions Committee that LLAM was required to amend its Bylaws to include “gender identity” in its anti-discrimination clause. The Committee also sent a list of suggested (and very helpful) edits to the Bylaws that would increase clarity and eliminate confusion. Some of the suggested changes were stylistic, and others were substantive.
Please read the proposed revision, which has been proofread by the LLAM Board and has been tentatively approved by the AALL Bylaws and Resolutions Committee. I am providing a copy of the current Bylaws so that you may compare the current language to the proposed revision. Please note the following substantive changes that appear in the draft:
• Former Article III, Section 2(B) has been eliminated because it read “All members shall receive the Corporation’s newsletter as part of their membership.” LLAM discontinued the newsletter approximately 1 -2 years ago, in favor of sharing LLAM news through its blog and the LLAM e-mail list. To be consistent, I also eliminated a reference to the newsletter in Article IV, Section 2, replacing newsletter with “website.”
• Article IV, Section 3 has been amended to establish a quorum for member meetings. (A quorum for Board meetings is four, as described in Article VII, Section 5.) I listed the quorum as ten persons. I have amended Article IV, Section 3 and 4, and Article VII, Section 5, to allow persons attending meetings remotely (for example, by conference call) to serve as part of a quorum and to vote.
• The anti-discrimination clause in Article XI has been amended to include gender identity.
Our LLAM Secretary will distribute an electronic ballot to LLAM members in one month to vote to approve the proposed revised LLAM Bylaws.
The AALL Innovations in Technology Award Jury is on the lookout for AALL members, law libraries, chapters, and Special Interest Sections that use technology in new and interesting ways. If you know of an innovative application or resource developed by such an individual or entity, please consider nominating it for the 2016 Innovations in Technology Award. You may submit as many separate entries as you would like, and self-nominations are highly encouraged.
• The Nominee, if an individual, must be a member in good standing of AALL.
• Nominee’s application of technology or resource must benefit library users and/or the legal information community.
• Nominee’s innovative use of technology must be an example of how librarians/information professionals effectively and efficiently serve as the human connection between technology, the information, and the user experience.
Further details and nomination forms are available at on the AALL website.
For questions or additional information, please contact the Innovations in Technology Award Jury Chair:
Creighton J. Miller, Jr.
Washburn University School of Law Library
1700 SW College Ave
Topeka, KS 66621-0001
The Jury is looking forward to a large and competitive slate of nominees. Please, help make their job more challenging!
Take a look at the top of our webpage to see the new logo, which incorporates an outline of Maryland with our acronym. Special thanks to Jenny Rensler for updating our webpages with the new look! Thanks to Mark Desierto for organizing our efforts to obtain logo proposals and bids from several graphic artists. Thanks to Mark, and also to Rachel Englander, for helping us obtain tablecloths with new LLAM logos for vendor halls and displays. The new tablecloths are navy blue with a white logo outline, matching the one posted at the top of our webpages. Special thanks also goes to Kate Martin for getting this project moving at the very beginning!
In addition, our new LLAM tablecloth and logo made their first appearance recently in the vendor hall of the 2015 AALL Meeting & Conference in Philadelphia. Special thanks to Immediate Past President Kate Martin, who handled table arrangements and displays. Also, thanks to Mark Desierto, who managed the logo proposals and ordering of the two new tablecloths (which are identical, but in different sizes).