Join us for an amazing behind-the-scenes tour of the Food and Drug Administration’s Office of the Chief Counsel (OCC) Law Library and the new Biosciences Library at the FDA’s White Oak Campus.
The OCC handles both civil and criminal enforcement cases, and defends challenges to provisions of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA); the implementing regulations; and FDA policies, initiatives, and decisions. The Biosciences Library supports pharmacological, medical, and veterinary research, and also contains an extensive collection of documents relating to drug laws and legislation.
The tour will also visit the FDA Innovation Lab – a collaborative, community space that offers a variety of technologies and tools. There is always something fun and exciting happening in the lab, whether it’s creating Dashboards, using the latest Data Analytic tools, testing out the VGO Robot, or building something on the 3D printer.
This tour will be of interest to law librarians interested in learning about federal law libraries; librarians interested in health law or administrative law generally; librarians wanting to enhance their library’s collection of food, health, and drug law resources; and anyone who wants to have a good time with other LLAMers!
- Date: Thursday, September 21
- Time: Noon to 2 p.m.
- Location: FDA White Oak Campus, 10903 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20993
- White Oak Campus Visitor Policy
- Must bring a valid form of identification in order to gain access to the White Oak campus (for foreign visitors this could be a passport or national identity source document, for domestic it could be a driver’s license).
- Must register using the Lobby Guard system at each entrance.
- Must be escorted at ALL times by their host. This includes being escorted out of the building.
- Must park in the non-reserved spaces in the Northwest Surface Lots.
- Will have their belongings scanned as part of the security clearance.
- Are not to hook any electronic equipment up to FDA resources.
Foreign Visitors (e.g. permanent residents (“green card” holders), representatives of foreign governments or foreign industry):
- All foreign visitors must be pre-approved by an FDA Security representative. Please use RSVP contact information below to receive additional information if you are a foreign visitor.
• Visitor Parking: There is limited free visitor parking available on the White Oak Campus. Public transit, taxi, and carpooling are highly encouraged. All visitors parking on campus are required to go through vehicle screening and to park in Northwest Surface Lot 1, 3, or 4. Walk from your parking space to Building 22. For more information, click HERE.
• Entry Procedures: All visitors must enter through Building 22. Our guide will meet us at the Building 22 entrance to escort us on the tour. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, a guard will contact the FDA Law Librarian to arrange for escort. Click HERE to see a map showing the location of Building 22.
• Dining: There are numerous restaurants in the area. Visitors will also be allowed to get food at the FDA Cafes throughout the facility.
• RSVP: Reserve your space today! Space is limited and visitor approval is required. Email Jason Hawkins, Programming Committee Chair (email@example.com). The RSVP deadline is Tuesday, September 19.