Maryland Library Legislative Day
Join us on February 14th!
Maryland Library Legislative Day is an opportunity for LLAM members to join with librarians and library supporters across the state to build support for Maryland libraries! This is our chance to connect with our elected delegates and senators to advocate for library issues.
Sponsored by the Maryland Library Association (MLA), this year’s Maryland Library Legislative Day will focus on two proposed bills.
- SB137 / HB 165– Maryland Uniform Electronic Legal Materials Act (UELMA) – These cross-filed bills provide for access, authentication, and preservation of specified online state legal materials that have been deemed official. UELMA takes a technology-neutral, outcomes-based approach to ensure that official online legal materials will have the same level of trustworthiness as official print publications.
- SB 587– Education – Libraries – Reorganization of Governance Structure – This proposed bill calls for the establishment of the Maryland State Library Agency and Maryland State Library Board. The newly established Maryland State Library Agency will, among other things, assume the duties and responsibilities of the Library Development and Services, which is currently within the purview of the State Department of Education.
8:00am – Continental Breakfast and Current Issues Briefing
Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Library
Enjoy breakfast, compliments of LLAM, as MLA’s legislative panel briefs participants on current library issues and talking points for senator/delegate visits. Briefing packets will be provided.
9:15am – Senate and House Presentations
State House (walking distance from Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Library)
Kathleen Teaze (MLA President), Irene Padilla (State Librarian), Cathy Dixon (CALD President), and Jay Bansbach (MSDE School Libraries Program Specialist) will present on the floor of the Senate and the House.
At the conclusion, participants are free to go to lunch and make delegation visits. A variety of restaurants are within walking distance of the State House and Circuit Court Library.
3:30pm – Citizens for Maryland Libraries Annual Meeting
Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Library, Large Conference Room
All are welcome to CML’s annual meeting.
5:30pm-7:30pm – Legislative Reception
Senate Office Building, President’s Reception Room
The Legislative Reception is an opportunity to mix and mingle with legislators and other officials.
- Directions to and Parking at the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Library
- State Government in Annapolis Map
- Security in the Legislative Complex
- Security at the Courthouse
Joan Bellistri: (410) 222-1387