Position: Branch Manager
Location: Prince George’s County Memorial Library System
Salary: $76,426 – $81,000
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
Prince George’s County Memorial Library System (PGCMLS) is seeking Branch Managers to oversee daily operations at the Bowie, Hyattsville, and Oxon Hill branch locations in Maryland.
As a Branch Manager, you will:
- Oversee daily operations of the library branch (projects and initiatives, branch procedures, administrative tasks, Sunday Service, computer lab, special collections, etc.).
- Supervise library branch staff; monitor and evaluate job performance; and oversee staff training and development.
- Collaborate with Talent and Culture on the issues of hiring, discharge, suspension, disciplinary action, performance evaluations, and the grievance process.
- Provide reference, reader’s advisory, and computer assistance to library customers and provide instruction on the use of library catalog and databases.
- Oversee library information and circulation services desk.
- Initiate and maintain community contacts and represent the Library in the community.
- Promote library services and collections to library customers.
- Oversee programming for library customers, as needed.
- Establish customer service priorities and coordinate services and activities in response to these priorities.
- Maintain accurate statistics.
- Act as Branch Friends liaison.
- Oversee security guard procedures and practices.
- Report and follow up on building maintenance issues.
- Substitute in other branches.
- Monitor and follow professional and community developments affecting the library field and seeks to continually improve performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program.
- Maryland Professional Public Librarian certificate within six-months of hire.
- Three to five years of professional library experience that includes three years of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Experience working in a labor/management environment highly preferred.
- Knowledge of current trends and developments in the field of public library services, customer service, technology, information services, adult services, youth services, as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of literature, reference and information materials, publishers, and periodicals required.
- Strong written and verbal communication as well as customer service skills.
- Excellent organization, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- Planning and goal setting skills a must.
- To be considered for these positions, click below submit an online application and resume, or visit us online at www.pgcmls.info.
- Salary is competitive based on experience. Earn an additional rate for bilingual skills.
- Candidates for the Hyattsville Branch must have bilingual fluency in English and Spanish.
- Candidates selected for hire will be required to work some evenings and weekends.
- Teleworking is available up to two days per week, after completion of probationary period