Location: University of Maryland, Baltimore
Originally posted on SLA Careers.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore Health Sciences and Human Services Library is currently seeking a Library Services Specialist. Under general supervision, the Library Services Specialist provides high quality reference and research support in person, by phone, via email and chat service. This position provides users with information and guidance in finding and retrieving library information resources. The Library Services Specialist answers questions and provides one-on-one instruction to users in conducting library research; searching online databases; and using technologies, tools and strategies to create, seek, use and manage information. The Library Services Specialist reports to the Head of Information Services. The work schedule for this position is Tuesday – Saturday.
UMB offers a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes wellness, work/life balance, and professional development. Non-exempt regular staff receive a generous leave package that starts with 11 days of vacation accrued per year, paid holidays, unlimited accrual of sick time, and time for community service; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development programs; tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any University System of Maryland school; and flexible work schedules and teleworking options (if applicable per job).
- Responds to customer information needs using online systems and information seeking skills to evaluate and locate the most appropriate library information resources. Searches and retrieves materials.
- Educates and guides face-to-face and remote customers with varying levels of proficiency to use technologies, tools, and strategies to create, seek, use, or manage information.
- Provides input, when appropriate, regarding selection, retention, maintenance, and evaluation of all types of library information resources.
- Performs quality control and assists with planning, preparing, creating and maintaining local library information resources.
- Assists with the maintenance of information discovery tools, guides, and other library information resources.
- Identifies and resolves problems related to access and use of library information resources and services.
- Collects, reports and assists with analyzing data on collections, usage, service transactions, and customer needs. Generates specialized reports and notices.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.