Location: George Mason University Law Library
Originally posted on LLSDC JobLine.
The Head of Technical Services & Collection Development is responsible for all aspects of Technical Services administration, including Acquisitions, Cataloging, e-Resource management, Serials Check-in, Binding, and Deaccession. They also manage the library’s collection development program, act as a liaison for the Alma integrated library system, assist the Associate Dean for Library and Technology with general planning, budgeting, and statistical compilation, and provide liaison services for faculty research.
- * Oversee daily operations of the Technical Services Department: acquisitions, cataloging, e-resource management, serials check-in, binding, and deaccession. Directly supervises and oversees the hiring, training, and evaluation of the Fiscal Services and Acquisitions Manager and the Cataloging and Serials Manager;
- * Oversee and communicates with University Libraries about various modules of the Alma integrated library system. This includes serving as a liaison to relevant personnel at the main University Library (Fenwick) and the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC), specifically the WRLC Metadata and e-Resources committees.
- *Assist the Associate Dean for Library & Technology with general planning and budgeting. Ensures that the needs of the Technical Services department are communicated to the Associate Dean and that the priorities of the Library are effectively communicated to the Technical Services staff. Accepts overall responsibility for the operation of the Library if both the Associate Dean for Library & Technology and the Associate Director are unavailable;
- * Submits completed statistics for ASERL, ACRL, IPEDS, ALLStAR, and US News. Compiles statistics for Assets Management for George Mason University’s insurance needs. Ensures the timely compilation of acquisition and cancellation data;
- * Manages the library’s collection development efforts. Works with other professional librarians in selecting materials for acquisition, assessing library collection needs, and updating the Library’s comprehensive collection development policy;
- * Works closely with the Fiscal Services and Acquisitions Manager in the order fulfillment process. Responsible for negotiation of contracts with vendors, including coordination with Purchasing and University Counsel’s office. Approves orders for books, databases, equipment, and supplies in the Eva (procurement) and Bank of America (purchase card) systems;
- * Coordinates with vendors, relevant Law Library and Technology personnel, and University Library personnel to ensure access to electronic databases through IP recognition and/or a Central Authentication Server (proxy server) and the catalog (metadata record loading). Coordinates with the Reference and Instructional Services Librarian to ensure that electronic resources are accurately listed and described on the Library’s list of Law-Related Databases webpage;
- * Participates in the law faculty liaison program. This direct support includes research, assistance with course materials and course management software, instruction of faculty RAs when requested, training faculty in the use of print and electronic resources, facilitation of interlibrary loan and document delivery, and materials ordering;
- * Serves as principal contact for gift and other material donations;
- * Participates in professional development activities, library committees, and law school and university activities.
* MLS from an ALA-accredited school;
* Supervisory experience in Technical Services operations, including the management of cataloging and acquisitions functions;
* Demonstrated understanding and experience in managing an integrated library system, especially the Ex Libris Alma system;
* Excellent organization and communication skills;
* Ability to work flexibly with law faculty, students and staff;
* Familiarity with current technical services trends and issues in law libraries;
* Experience in law library budgeting.<br><br>
* JD from an ABA-accredited law school strongly preferred.
To Apply: https://jobs.gmu.edu/postings/54721
Suggested salary range: $75,000-$95,000