Position: Reference Librarian
Location: Mayer Brown, LLP
Mayer Brown LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in 27 key business centers across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are a collegial, collaborative, and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support, and development they need to grow, thrive, and realize their greatest potential.
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness, and adaptability, you may be the person we are seeking to join our Legal Information Center department in our Washington, D.C. office as a Reference Librarian. The Reference Librarian provides reference services and research assistance to all Legal Information Center users.
- Provides reference service, information retrieval and research assistance to attorneys and professional staff in Washington DC including support for client development and marketing projects using appropriate sources and technology
- Supports all practices, with heavy emphasis on Litigation Corporate/Finance, Government and Global Trade and Intellectual Property practices
- Provides legal and non-legal research including public records, news, expert witness, business and company research
- Provides current awareness services such as issue monitoring, docket monitoring and litigation alerts
- Identifies, verifies and locates needed materials from outside sources
- Suggests, assists, and promotes the use of online resources for the Washington office
- Orients and trains users on online resources, and Legal Information Center applications
- Handles reference duties as assigned and coordinates hybrid work schedule assignment with other Librarian(s)
- Participates as member of firm-wide Legal Information Center Reference Team by providing research services to other offices through BigHand and by request. Attends Team training sessions and vendor meetings
- Handles other department support as assigned including Interlibrary Loan administration, mail duties, PACER and other billing reconciliation, password management, updating online catalog records and general library maintenance
- Handles reference duties in librarian’s absence; monitors weekend email request in coordination with librarian.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required to meet Firm goals and objectives
- MLS or Bachelor’s degree in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered in lieu of the degree when the experience has been directly related to the functions of the job
- Three or more years of relevant experience in the Legal Information Center of a law firm or corporate setting may be acceptable
- Must have relevant experience in a law firm or corporate environment and electronic dissemination of materials
- Substantial CALR research experience including Westlaw, Lexis, PACER, Bloomberglaw and Vitallaw
- Must have relevant knowledge of all aspects of legal research, including international law, non-legal sources, public records and corporate research
- Must have demonstrated familiarity with legal and non-legal sources
- Experience with, or ability to learn, all other Legal Information Center application packages highly desirable. LIC applications include FactSet, Intelligize, ProQuest, IPO Vital Signs, ThomsonOne/Refinative
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate effectively and in a professional manner with all levels of the Firm and outside vendors
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment and effectively support the demanding needs of the Firm
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines with shifting priorities
- Must be a self-starter with a high level of initiative
- Strong customer service skills, able to anticipate needs and exercise independent judgment
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion
- Exercises creative approach to research, with solid strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work remotely in a fast-paced hybrid environment, both collaboratively and independently
- May require occasional lifting of up to 20 lbs.
- Extensive keyboarding required.
- Duties may require stooping, bending, lifting boxes and pushing full Legal Information Center carts and may involve sitting for long periods of time.
The above is a general description of the essential duties associated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties.
The Firm may modify and amend this job description at any time at its sole discretion. Nothing herein creates a contract of employment or otherwise modifies the at-will nature of employment.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including medical/dental/vision/life/and AD&D insurance, 401 (k) savings plan, back-up childcare and eldercare, generous paid time off (PTO), as well as opportunities for professional development and growth. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.