Position: Director for the Library
Location: Harford Community College
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
Harford Community College is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Library. The College seeks an innovative leader to provide strategic vision and leadership for the Library in support of the College’s educational mission and values as an open-access community college. As part of the academic leadership team, the successful candidate will be a resourceful leader with a vision of how the Library can continue to meet the evolving information needs of its constituents and add value to Harford’s teaching and learning community. The Director also supervises the Coordinator of the Hays-Heighe House, an historic house museum on the HCC campus and an educational resource for the community.
- Planning, overseeing, directing, and evaluating the operations and of the HCC Library with a student-focused mindset, including providing direction for improvements in Library services and operations.
- Working with the Library Management Team to oversee the development, implementation, and assessment of library policies and procedures, print and electronic resources acquisition, access to networked information, and general collection management.
- Working with the Library Management Team to oversee the development, implementation, and assessment of the Library’s Information Literacy program and collaborate with academic divisions in connection with their curricular offerings.
- Supervising, interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and guiding the professional development of the library staff and the Coordinator of the Hays-Heighe House.
- Managing fiscal, facility, and technology resources.
- Remaining current with developments in library, learning commons, museum, and historic house trends and emerging technologies.
- Providing equitable access to library collections, services, and facilities for all library users, including selecting and acquiring, whenever possible, resources and technologies that are accessible to all and compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Helping to guide the development of a future Learning Commons in collaboration with other campus leads.
- Facilitating grant development.
- Providing general academic leadership and College service through participation in various committees, groups, and task forces.
- Representing the Library locally, regionally, and nationally and collaborate with other library, museum, and cultural institutions including the Maryland Community College Library Consortium (MCCLC), where the Director is an active representative for HCC.
- Participating actively in continuous professional development through activities such as professional conferences, courses, and webinars.
- Connecting with the local community to encourage use of the Library and the Hays-Heighe House as valuable resources for the region.
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- This is an exempt, administrator position reporting to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Employees of Harford Community College, including instructors for online and virtual courses, must be residents of Maryland or the contiguous states of Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia or the District of Columbia; non-residents are expected to relocate to meet this requirement.
An MLS or other relevant master’s degree, preferably from an ALA-accredited institution, and nine years of experience working in an academic library is required, to include seven years of experience as a librarian in an academic library and three years of administrative and management experience that includes direct supervision of professional library staff.
Other requirements include:
- A demonstrated commitment to undergraduate education.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Successful decision making, problem-solving ability, and planning skills.
- Working knowledge of library information systems, technology, and research tools.
- Resource management experience – budget, facilities, collection, technology.
- Knowledge of contemporary practices in academic libraries, including learning commons.
- Strategic planning and innovation experience, including project management.
- Demonstrated student success focus, including information literacy and OER program administration.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Ten years of experience as a librarian in an academic library.
- Five years of administrative and management experience that includes supervising professional library staff.
- Experience with library facilities management.
- Experience with or close knowledge of historic house management.
- Apply online by April 12, 2022.
Harford Community College is committed to the principles of Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity. It is the policy of Harford Community College not to discriminate against applicants on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices. HCC is an EEO and ADA/ADAA employer that values, embraces, and supports diversity in the College community.