Position: Associate Director of Library Technologies & Digital Strategies
Location: University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
The Associate Director for Library Technology & Digital Strategies will envision a new library technology and digital strategies model for the UMBC faculty, staff, and students. As a member of the Library Executive Team, the Associate Director for Library Technology & Digital Strategies is expected to have knowledge of trends in research and learning in the academic library setting. The Associate Director for Library Technology & Digital Strategies collaborates with university colleagues to determine how the library can best support emerging research initiatives. The position does not include budgetary responsibility. While working with the UMBC Division of Information Technology (DoIT), the Associate Director advises library leadership on current, new and emerging library applications and knowledge systems that will advance the library’s vision, mission and strategic plan (https://library.umbc.edu/admin/StrategicPlan2018.pdf).The Associate Director for Library Technology & Digital Strategies is expected to be strategic and innovative to move the Albin O. Kuhn Library and its Technology & Digital Strategies forward in a rapidly changing environment of research and education.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree.
- Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience in IT-related project management in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated experience and scholarship to be eligible for appointment at the rank of Librarian II and to meet the university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook https://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook
- Experience with library technologies and technology planning and demonstrated knowledge of current technology trends.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing new technologies or services, e.g. virtual servers, immersive technologies, and maker spaces.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing and developing staff.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Proven experience working in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively across the University to advance the technology needs of the library and library users.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably and personably both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of significant trends and issues in the application of information technology to libraries and higher education, including research support and information management services and solutions.
- Experience working with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems, client side computing and cloud technology.
- Experience developing IT policies for workflows and software support.
- Experience working with assistive technology for accommodation and accessibility.
- Demonstrated record of participation in relevant professional associations and ongoing professional development.
- Experience working with a larger campus information and computing group.
- Experience working in a consortia of libraries.