Position: Research and Learning Librarian
Location: Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Originally posted on AALL Career Center.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen and Hamilton is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking, and self-motivated individual to serve as the Research and Learning Librarian for the Americas team supporting Cleary’s Global view. This role is fully flexible and may work from one of the following locations: NY, DC, NJ, CT, VA, MD, PA. This role will require the ability to manage expectations across time zones and will require occasional travel and office site visits.
Under the organizational reporting line of the Reference Services Manager – Americas and Global Director of Library and Information services, the Research and Learning Librarian supports and promotes electronic and digital access, usage impact and improves visibility into the firm’s vast legal and non-legal content portfolio.
The Research and Learning Librarian serves as the point of contact for learning opportunities and vendor training schedules for legal, legal support functions and business development teams in order to maximize user awareness, efficiencies and return on investment.
Reports to: Reference Services Manager – Americas (Direct); Director Global Library and Information Services (Matrixed)
- In consultation with the Director of Global Library, Reference Service Manager, partners with practice area leaders, practice development lawyers, research librarian practice liaisons and content providers to provide an integrated learning strategy inclusive of bespoke curriculum design, pathfinders, group and individual learning sessions as well as recommending opportunities to improve the user experience.
- Prepare and conduct content orientation with the Americas team for all learning and awareness sessions targeted for Summer Associates, First-Year Associates, International Associates and lateral hires.
- Prepare custom curriculum for practice teams in consultation with Practice Development Lawyers, Practice Development Specialists and business services such as Business Development and Pro-Bono.
- Responsible for creating learning and awareness materials through instructional design, assessment tools and designing communication campaigns.
- Develop vendor relationships in order schedule vendor learning sessions and communicate Cleary’s usage preference and vendor content and platform development.
- In conjunction with supporting learning and awareness, and on a regular rotation, participate in complex business and legal research requirements as part of the Americas Library and Research Services team.
- Directly consult with the Library and Information Services Reference Manager-Americas to support daily research needs.
- Research support is targeted to 40% of the week and adjusted based on business needs and resource constraints.
- Daily research needs will require legal, legislative and business research including, news alerts across a wide range of practice areas.
- Participate in global working groups and specific Global Practice Development initiatives as directed by the Director of Global Library and Information Services and Reference Services Manager.
- JD from an ABA accredited institution and a MLS, MLIS, MBA, or MA from an ALA accredited institution is required.
- Five years of experience as a practicing attorney, content vendor training consultant, researcher with a law firm, academic institution, or professional services firm.
- Experience reporting within a matrixed organization framework.
- Service oriented and proactive with strong attention to detail.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and executive presence.
- Clear and effective verbal, presentation (PowerPoint) and written communication skills.
- Strategic independent thinker with the ability to work with a dispersed global team.
- Occasional travel as needed.