Position: Librarian (Systems)
Location: National Defense Library
Salary: $87,198 – $113,362
Full vacancy announcement available on USAJOBS.
National Defense University (NDU) supports the joint warfighter by providing rigorous Joint Professional Military Education to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and select others in order to develop leaders who have the ability to operate and creatively think in an unpredictable and complex world.
Priority Placement Program (PPP) Military Spouse Preference (MSP) eligible candidates will receive priority consideration at the full performance level only.
1.Coordinates technical and bibliographic processes related to access, selection, acquisition and maintenance of electronic resources and serials and databases.
- Works independently and collaboratively with all levels of staff.
- Ensures smooth integration of electronic subscriptions into the library’s library management system, resolving access issues. Coordinates serials database maintenance, oversees cataloging of serials.
- Assists with license agreements for electronic resources, working directly with vendors, manages license compliance issues and use policies to library staff and users.
- Has current awareness of new trends, standards and emerging technologies in electronic resources.
- Conducts training, briefings and provides presentations to library and university staff.- Assists with coordinating demos and trial subscriptions of new electronic resources.
- Identifies, evaluates and implements new technologies for management of and access to electronic materials using analytical and problem- solving skills.
- Coordinates integrated access to electronic resources via portal software or other technologies such as link resolvers, utilizing Open URL standards and other emerging technologies.
2. Functions as a back-up to provide technical support for the library management system.
- Under the direction of the senior systems librarians, participates in the development, coordination and ongoing evolution of the library’s library management system.
- Provides expert technical assistance in resolving users problems with web-based resources and desktop applications.
- Works with NDU network and IT staff in monitoring the library’s library management, and other automated/electronic information products and services. Assists with system upgrades, profiling and troubleshooting as required. Stays current of trends in library automation and emerging technologies which could ensure the library’s continuing role of excellence in the military academic community.
3. Provides leadership in planning, obtaining, and organizing electronic resources across the library.
- Possess familiarity with metadata standards, and the creation of digital collections.
- Applies organizational techniques and knowledge of information retrieval to enhance access for users.
- Automates gathering of usage statistics where possible across various library platforms to inform annual report.
- Serves as a liaison to other Divisions in the library providing technical assistance and participating in the planning, development and evaluation of digital services and the enhancement/conversion materials to electronic formats.
Performs other duties as assigned.