Position: Manager of Digital Solutions
Location: Venable LLP
Full vacancy announcement available on AALL Career Center.
Venable LLP is seeking a Manager of Digital Solutions to join our team. The ideal candidate with assist the Director of Research and Libraries in the planning, implementation, maintenance, discoverability and adoption of commercial and internal library and knowledge resources.
We welcome applicants in the New York, NY, Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC markets.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for…
- Coordinating with other library staff and practice managers in assessing the introduction and maintenance of electronic resources and making recommendations to the Director.
- Overseeing the maintenance and integrity of ILS.
- Managing the firm’s electronic information subscriptions, ensuring appropriate access and publication for attorneys and staff. Ensures that appropriate authentication is enabled, including the use of IP and password authentication as well as SAML and API technology in compliance with associated licensing agreements.
- Assisting the Director in planning the departmental and practice level resource budget allocations
- Establishing ROI processes linking utilization data with subscription costs. Assisting the Director in making budget, acquisitions and resource cancellation plans based on use or the availability of electronic alternatives.
- Monitoring developments in legal technology and electronic research, KM and workflow products which may offer appropriate substitutes for, or adjuncts to, print resources or existing processes.
- Advising the Director in all aspects of digital solutions and electronic resources.
- Working with technical services staff, continually assesses processes to streamline tasks, reduce redundancies and provide optimal customer service.
- Building or collaborating with IT, Vendors and consultants in building custom resources for end users and internal administrative functions.
- Managing the print and digital solutions team
The successful candidate will demonstrate…
- MLS or equivalent degree and/or 5 years of experience in a similar role.
- Experience working with several of the following: SharePoint, Python, Java and API’s, SAML or equivalents for system integration.
- Expert knowledge of print legal and business research resources.
- Experience with cataloging and taxonomy management issues.
- Expert knowledge of electronic resources prevalent in law firm libraries.
- Experience working with digital monitoring products such as Onelog or Research Monitor.
- Experience developing and managing digital resource discovery portals.
- Familiarity with integrated library systems and comfortable with using technology to enhance personal and organizational efficiencies.
- Ability to create scenario planning, working the budgets, utilization data, and conducting ROI analysis.
- We are seeking candidates interested in working as part of the firm’s management team, focusing on client service, continuous learning, innovation, and building human capital. We would love to hear from you.
Position: Metadata Librarian
Location: Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
The Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HSHSL) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) seeks a dynamic and collaborative Metadata Librarian to join the HSHSL team.
This library faculty position focuses on metadata development and management to maximize discovery of content, particularly that produced by UMB faculty, staff and students. The position will support the HSHSL’s adherence to best practices in metadata methods, ensuring the interoperability and sustainability of metadata in bibliographic systems within the library, specifically metadata contributed to the UMB Data Catalog, UMB Digital Archive, the Library Catalog and other resources. This position works closely with faculty librarians from other departments. The incumbent participates in planning, establishing and achieving the goals of the Metadata Management Department and the Resource Development and Access Division.
This is a permanent status-eligible, full-time, non-tenure track library faculty position. The position reports to the Metadata Management Librarian.
- Create original metadata rich records, mostly in science related topics, for the UMB Data Catalog, a database of records describing datasets generated by UMB researchers
- Curate content for the UMB Digital Archive, a repository of academic works and history of the University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Catalog and manage the library’s e-journal collection, legacy print journals, and digital backfiles within the Library Catalog.
- Document the assigning of metadata, using metadata maps, local authority records, etc.
- Implement and sustain metadata strategies associated with resource description and digital initiatives and projects, including but not limited to quality control, preservation and access to digitized and born-digital content from the Library’s collections and other University sources.
- Serve as a liaison with internal and external partners on collaborative metadata projects
- Perform original cataloging and enhancement of serial catalog records using MARC, RDA and AACR2, LCSH and MeSH
- Keep current with emerging standards, tools, and developments such as BIBFRAME and Linked Open Data (Semantic Web) to apply to current and future library projects.
- Lead projects and serve as a member of project teams within and outside of the library
- Participate in the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) library consortium
- Participate actively as a member of national and local professional associations and engage in scholarly and service activities
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program
- Experience with metadata development and management in an academic, research, or special collections library
- Demonstrated knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata formats, standards and schemas such as Dublin Core
- Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging utilities such as OCLC Connexion and integrated library systems
- Experience with authority control
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to handle, manage and initiate a variety of projects
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of colleagues within the Library and the University and to translate concepts effectively to a variety of user communities including researchers
A degree in a science related field
Experience in e-journal cataloging and management
Experience working with metadata in a health sciences library
Applications: Application materials must include a CV/resume; cover letter including the source of advertisement; 3 references including names, titles, relationship to applicant, phone numbers, email addresses; and a separate signed/dated affidavit page (stating “I verify that my CV is current and accurate” – does not need to be notarized). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, December 3, 2021.
Please note – A full criminal background check will be required of the selected candidate as part of the hiring process and prior to beginning employment with UMB.
COVID-19 Protocols: All University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) on-campus employees  are expected to be “fully vaccinated” against COVID-19. Employees will be considered “fully vaccinated” two weeks after receiving the second dose of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after receiving a one-dose vaccine.