Position: Data Services Librarian
Location: The Universities at Shady Grove, Rockville, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
Position Number: 123563
Location: The Universities at Shady Grove, Rockville, MD 20850
Best Consideration Date: 04/29/2021
The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) is a regional higher education center of the University System of Maryland (USM) located in Rockville, Maryland, serving students from Montgomery County and the surrounding region. USG is an innovative partnership with nine public universities, providing access to approximately 80 high-demand undergraduate and graduate degree programs specifically selected to respond to the workforce needs of the county and region. The campus currently serves more than 3,500 students enrolled in day-time, evening, full-time and part-time degree programs. In 2019, the Biomedical Sciences and Engineering (BSE) Education Facility opened to expand USG’s degree and certification offerings in STEM fields, including health and life sciences, information science and technology, and engineering. USG’s four-building campus has the capacity to grow its enrollment to more than 7,500 students in the coming years. The Priddy Library is seeking an innovative and enthusiastic information professional to serve as the Data Services Librarian at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG). The successful candidate will lead the development and provision of the Data Management and Visualization Lab. Working closely with faculty, students and staff, the Librarian will build relationships in order to support research and teaching with a focus on promoting and providing data services for finding, manipulating, analyzing, visualizing and managing data. Through research consultations, classroom instruction, and other programming, the Librarian will help the Libraries meet curricular needs by increasing the visibility of available data-related resources and services. The Librarian will provide subject-specific data and visual literacy instruction, maintain strong relationships with faculty and students in assigned undergraduate and graduate programs, and enhance curricula and research innovation at USG.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist and provide guidance to students and faculty with issues related to the research data lifecycle. Identify software and tools and develop services supporting the discovery, management, and visualization of research data. Pro-actively participate in the development and oversight of the Data Management and Visualization Lab, including overall management of programs, hardware and software, and supervision of student assistants. (40%)
- Serve as library liaison for the following programs: Data Science, Cybersecurity, Computer Science, and Engineering. Duties include, but is not limited to, providing data and visual literacies instruction, promoting services available through the Priddy Library, supporting faculty research, creating web and digital content, and developing and managing collections in assigned subject areas. May assist in liaison activities to other disciplines as needed. (25%)
- Teach and support workshops on data and visual literacies and related tools for a variety of audiences. Provide general and specialized information assistance and research consultations – in person, by phone, by e-mail and through chat. Discover and implement innovative technologies to advance teaching and learning, research, communication, collaboration, and information literacy. Maintain a strong knowledge of current and emerging trends, particularly in the areas of information literacy instruction, assessment, and research methods. (25%)
- Participate in UMD Libraries and USG events. Participate in professional development activities and provide service to the library community. (5%)
- Assist with special projects and programs as assigned. (5%)
Master’s in library or information science from an ALA-accredited institution of higher education or from a master’s level program in library and information studies accredited or recognized by the appropriate national body of another country. Or an advanced degree in data science, GIS, statistics or related field, with relevant experience by date of appointment.
- Experience providing reference and research and/or technical assistance in an academic or special library or research or computer lab.
- Experience using electronic resources.
- Experience or demonstrated potential to support students with information, data and/or visual literacy instruction.
- Familiarity with data discovery, analytical techniques and statistical methodologies.
- Familiarity with local and national data repositories, public data sets and data management plans.
- Familiarity or experience indicating an ability to become proficient with data analysis and visualization tools such as SPSS, R, Excel, Tableau, GIS, Python, and NVivo.
- Experience indicating an ability to become proficient with data management and cleaning tools (e.g., OpenRefine, DMPTool, DMPonline, Git/GitHub, Open Science Framework)
- At least two years of professional experience in academic or research library or other research or computer lab.
- Experience with or aptitude for working effectively and creatively with faculty and students.
- A deep understanding of the research data life cycle.
- Knowledge of the research process and evolving models of scholarly communication, open access, institutional repositories, and other trends in information science.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and enthusiasm for the integration of new technologies into the delivery of information services.
- Familiarity with collection development.
- Experience using digital and web technologies in the delivery of library services.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse and multicultural faculty, staff, and student community.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to work successfully in a complex, dynamic environment with competing demands.
- Strong commitment to public service.
- Demonstrated understanding of the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with colleagues, faculty, and staff in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment.
- A commitment to continuous professional development through participation in local, regional, and national forums.
- Professional environment. Extensive use of computers.
Please note this is not a permanent position. This position is classified as Professional Track Faculty (Contractual) position. This position is located in Montgomery County, Rockville, MD.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://ejobs.umd.edu/
Position: Tech Services Director
Location: Kent County Public Library, Chestertown, MD
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
Responsible for planning and carrying out activities related to system-wide materials compiling/selection and to the overall management of the system’s print, media and electronic collections. Oversees the implementation and planning of young adult programming. Also responsible for administrative work such as reporting and recordkeeping. Participates in formulating and executing goals and objectives, and participating in tasks and projects with other members of the Tech Services Department. Serves as a member of the Senior Staff, acts as Person in Charge, and regularly works the front desk.