Position: Library Technician
Location: National Agriculture Library
Full vacancy announcement is available on the CUA SLIS blog.
Description: Hedgelan Consulting seeks a qualified and highly motivated Library Technician to support our Federal client on-site in Beltsville, Maryland.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform bibliographic searching using print and online sources including NAL’s Agricola and Dictionary catalogs and OCLC.
- Submit and manage interlibrary borrowing requests in OCLC, Docline, and NAL’s Relais document delivery management system.
- Process loans from NAL’s collection and for interlibrary borrowing requests using Voyager, OCLC, and NAL’S Relais document delivery management system.
- Retrieve materials from NAL stacks to fill user requests.
- Back up Senior Library Technicians
- Code requests appropriately for material not held by NAL
- Register new patrons; transfers records to Voyager and verifies them in the Voyager Circulation subsystem
- Monitor Relais Receive FTP and processes documents received
- Sort material in pre-shelving and shelves materials in the stacks
- Clean shelves and dusts collection materials and participates in shifts over 8 shelves
- Perform shifts of up to 8 shelves, as required
- Weed crowded areas in accordance with NAL guidelines
Minimum Educational/Experience Requirements:
- Associates Degree from accredited college or technical institute with 16 credits in library science or computer science.
- Minimum of one year of experience in library services.
- Experience with Integrated Library Systems (ILS), collection management, collection maintenance, and base preservation techniques.
- Base knowledge of sources of reference and bibliographical materials.
- Ability to use and explain library facilities, including catalogs, and other reference aids.
- Ability to deal effectively with volunteers and non-professional staff in instructing them in use of library.
- Knowledge of Library of Congress Classification (LCC) system.
- Attention to detail, a good command of written English, and the ability to multi-task across tasks and projects with competing deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to diverse groups of people.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to handle many different projects at any given time.
- Knowledge and experience of records management and information practices and procedures of a records management system.
- Experience with large and complex filing systems, research procedures, and database entry.
- Highly organized, accurate and attention to detail in the review, classification, and distribution of documents, books, maps, and other library artifacts.
Desired Technical Skills
- Experience or basic working knowledge with the following systems:
- Online Computer Library Center’s national bibliographic utility (OCLC)
- Internet search engines
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word)
- Adobe Acrobat
- FedEx, UPS, and USPS online shipping tools
Must be able to pass a criminal background investigation
Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and comply with all requirements of the company substance abuse policy.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates, should apply on-line by visiting Hedgelan’s Careers page on our website, Careers | Hedgelan Consulting, LLC
Hedgelan Consulting is a Federal contracting firm that provides the Federal Government with a variety of services and support. Service offerings include administrative staffing support, library support services, records management, workforce development, including succession planning, information technology support, facilities support and acquisitions support.
Hedgelan is an SBA-certified woman-owned, small-disadvantaged business that is HUBZone certificated.