Position: Systems Administrator
Location: Calvert Library, Prince Frederick, MD
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
The Systems Administrator (SA) is responsible for the day-to-day support of the Library servers and data network. The work requires extensive specialized training and experience in servers and server-based applications, telecommunications, electronics, network communications equipment, network security, and network engineering, including wired and wireless networks and operating systems and cloud-based applications. Position requires working well with users, performing under pressure, balancing demanding day-to-day assignments with long-term projects, and supporting weekend maintenance and upgrade projects. This position may require the employee to work in multiple locations. Continuing formal and self-education is required to keep up to date with constantly evolving technologies.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Server & Network Administration
- Responsible for installation, configuration, maintenance, upgrade, troubleshooting, and customizing security settings for servers in a Windows 2019 Domain environment. Including but not limited to: Hyper-V Server, Active Directory (AD), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Web Servers, Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), Remote Desktop Services (RDS), and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Assists with installation, configuration, maintenance, upgrade, troubleshooting and repair of firewall, filter, networking (wired and wireless) hardware, telecommunications equipment, and related software necessary for network and internet access in the library system.
- Assists with establishing and monitoring controls to evaluate system performance, throughput, and security; takes appropriate action to ensure 24x7x365 accessibility and reliability.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends the best use of information technology (i.e., network architecture change, new hardware, software standardization) in meeting the public’s and library’s needs.
- Makes risk-based assessments of critical data and system backups and make recommendations for a plan of action based on priority, policy and risk.
- Stays current on cybersecurity best practices to safeguard the library network and data and to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of library network and data.
- Stays abreast of emerging threats and zero-day vulnerabilities. Serves as secondary point of contact (after Network Supervisor) for Intrusion Detection and coordinates responses to breaches and other attacks to the network such as Denial of Service attacks, ransomware, viruses, web-based attacks, etc.
- Helps Network Supervisor develop Disaster Recovery plans and Continuity of Operations Plans. Follows established guidelines and frameworks such as NIST, CIS Controls and PCI-DSS for cybersecurity.
- Communicates understanding and support of organization goals and programs through actions and spoken and written words; interacts effectively with individuals and groups at all levels; maintains ties with external organizations; keeps all interested and involved parties informed of matter requiring their attention.
- Reports project status to committees, supervisors and outside agencies; takes appropriate action to keep projects on schedule and within established human and financial constraints.
- Implements established goals and objectives of the organization; devises and implements work methods and procedures; reports on IT department and projects’ progress and effectiveness.
- Assists with training staff/customers on technology and its implementation, both one-on-one and in a group
- Provides leading edge technical advice to all departments.
- Prepares technical specifications, documentation, and correspondence, and other communications involving telecommunications and networked systems.
Planning & Administration
- Ensures effective maintenance and operations of facilities and equipment.
- Works to increase operational capabilities and increase efficiencies within departments.
- Prepares management reports; collects, analyzes and evaluates data and information and develops conclusions, action plans, and recommendations thereon.
- Develops and maintains informational resources and safeguards their use.
- Uses financial resources economically and efficiently; helps to develops and administer budgets.
- Assists with grants, e-rate, contract documents and submissions.
- Procures, stores and distributes supplies and materials economically and efficiently.
- Position will require occasional after-hours weekend work for deployment, maintenance and upgrade projects.
- Subject to call in or to remain on the job for emergencies.
- Position will require the employee to work in multiple locations on occasion.
- Work is subject to deadlines and frequent interruptions.
- Perform related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Principles and best practices for server operating systems and services, access rights, and server-based applications including web services and electronic messaging.
- Principles, standards, and best practices for installation, configuration, and management of desktop/laptop computer, client/server software and peripherals.
- Principles, standards, and best practices for installation, configuration, maintenance and management of network equipment, telecommunications connections, and cabling infrastructure, including associated operating systems, protocols and associated addressing schema, routing, switching, virtual private networks, intranet and internet access.
- Principles and best practices for network security and Internet connectivity, including firewalls, filters, antivirus, antispyware, and threat detection.
- Project management
- Analytical skills to solve complex technical problems and recommend alternatives.
- Effective oral and written communication, particularly for complex technical issues.
- Deliver excellent internal and external customer service
- Work effectively and calmly under pressure and make judgments in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work place
- Transition quickly between tasks and reprioritize workload
- Plan, implement and maintain secure and complex telecommunication and network systems and service.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work.
- Deal effectively with the public
(Note: Any acceptable combination of education, training and relevant experience that provides the above knowledge, skills and abilities may be substituted on a full-time year for year basis.)
Licenses or Certificates:
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.