Position: Circulation Assistant
Location: St. John’s College, Greenfield Library, Annapolis, MD
Salary: $37,829 per year
Full vacancy announcement is available on the CUA SLIS blog.
General Purpose: The Circulation Assistant works independently and as a team member to provide high-level customer service in a small academic library setting; shows good judgment in keeping full-time staff informed of developments outside regular routines; represents the College in a professional manner respects patron confidentiality and privacy, adheres to the current ALA Code of Ethics; and is a good office citizen (i.e. keeps work and break area clean, responds to email and requests promptly, has a positive attitude, and respects the feelings and needs of co-workers).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides circulation service and reference service to patrons
- Assists patrons with use of computers, printer, scanner, and AV equipment
- Serves as trouble shooter for all equipment in public areas
- Assists with training of student assistants, follows up with students on assigned tasks and projects
- Maintains on-desk and off-desk schedules and reviews and submits timecards
- Processes interlibrary loans (borrowing and lending)
- Oversees shelf-maintenance, including shelving and shelf-reading
- Maintains reserve collection and hold shelf
- Oversees inventory activities for all circulating collections, including missing materials
- Maintains newspaper collections including checking in and claiming newspapers
- Orders and maintains inventory of office supplies
- Tracks and records statistics including head and entry counts
- Submits money deposits to Business Office
- Tracks work orders for various offices and vendors
- Prepares and submits various monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Ensures that the library is safe and secure in the absence of a full-time staff member
- Opens and closes library on weekends and weekday evenings
- Ability to bend, kneel, crouch, reach, push book carts, and lift up to 40 lbs.
- Other duties and responsibilities may include the following: Updates library databases; assists with donations processing; social media posting; creating signage; assists with exhibits/displays and community outreach. Other duties and projects may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree; 2 years relevant experience, or acceptable combination of education and experience; competence in use of computers, including experience using scheduling software; proficient with MS Office applications, especially Word and Excel; demonstrate strong and effective written and verbal communication, excellent customer service skills, ability to handle multiple and changing priorities, tasks and emergencies; ability to work independently and cooperatively with colleagues; meet deadlines. Must be detail oriented and demonstrate flexibility and initiative. Must be willing and able to work nights and weekends.
Desirable Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts or humanities, familiarity with the St. John’s College curriculum, work experience in an academic library. Experience with SirsiDynix Horizon.