Position: Director, Law Library and Technology – (20000163)
Location: Thurgood Marshall Law Library, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, Baltimore, MD
To view the position and apply, please use the following link to the University’s TALEO system: https://umb.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=20000163&lang=en.
Please note this link is not mobile friendly so it may not work if you are trying to access from a phone or other mobile device.
The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law seeks an experienced law librarian to fill the position of director of the Thurgood Marshall Law Library. The Director oversees all aspects of library operations including budget preparation, long- and short-term planning, personnel supervision, facilities management and technology initiatives; and oversees all library services including research and reference services, technical services, access services, collection development, academic technology and the library’s instructional program. The Director also serves as the School’s chief technology officer, providing strategic and collaborative leadership of the law school’s technology enterprises to support the advancement of the teaching, research and administrative missions of Maryland Carey Law.
The Director is responsible for library policy, leadership, strategic planning, and selection of research resources. This includes compliance with ABA and AALS accreditation standards; participation in local, regional and national library consortia; application of emerging technologies in automated library systems and information access; and maintaining the law library as an active and responsible presence in the educational life of the Maryland Carey School of Law. The Director adjusts with trends in legal education, identifying and implementing revisions to the library’s strategic plan. The Director develops and promotes legal information literacy for the law school, challenging members of the law school community to grow in their understanding of how to access, evaluate and use information in varying formats.
The position involves managerial and budgetary stewardship of all of the School’s technology activities. This position is also responsible for oversight of educational technology to enhance and enrich the educational process for faculty and students.
The Director will hold a law faculty appointment and will be a member of the School’s senior leadership team with the position of Assistant or Associate Dean depending on qualifications and experience.
- Provide for the organization, administration and supervision of the Law Library in compliance with ABA and AALS library standards.
- Develop library services and collections consistent with evolving faculty and student needs.
- Manage a law library with a budget of approximately $3 million and 20 full-time staff.
- Provide strategic leadership for all the law school’s technology enterprises.
- Remain current with the latest trends in library management.
- Encourage a service-oriented philosophy across all law library and technology operations.
- Promote communication, collegiality and teamwork among the staff and law faculty.
- Teach legal research courses in the library’s instructional program.
- Participate in local and regional library consortia.
- Manage staff hiring, training and continuing education.
- Participate in professional library, technology, and legal education activities.
- Perform other duties including committee assignments and special projects as assigned.
- JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school and an M.L.S. (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited program.
- Minimum five years in positions of increasing responsibility within a research law library setting.
- Evidence of at least 5 years of supervisory experience and demonstrated skill in supervising and managing librarians and staff in library systems and information technology roles.
- Substantial administrative and management experience with knowledge of and experience in law library collection management, budgeting, student and faculty services, staff development, and interlibrary collaboration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to establish goals, structures, and processes necessary to implement a mission and strategic vision.
- Ability to convey a collaborative, solutions oriented management style.
- Ability to be proactive, flexible, and collaborative as a team leader in order to accomplish departmental, library, and institutional goals.
- Ability to present complex information to various audiences.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, team building, staff building and organizational skills within a complex and diverse organization.
- Proven excellent oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop budgets and financial forecasts.
- Proven leadership, organizational, team building and project management skills required.
- Proven innovative problem solver with an attention to detail.
- Proven record of scholarship and demonstrated ability to teach in the classroom.
TO APPLY: Only online applications at http://www.umaryland.edu/jobs/. Please include (a) cover letter, (b) CV/resume with a separate signed/dated affidavit page (stating “I verify that my CV is current and accurate”), and (c) the names and telephone numbers of at least three professional references.
DEADLINE: December 30, 2020
START DATE: July 1, 2021
UMB is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.