Position: Assistant Branch Manager
Location: Queen Anne’s County Library
Salary: $39,521.00 – $51,378.00 per year
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
Under the general direction of the Branch Manager assist in the daily operation of the library branch including circulation, reference advisory, technology assistance, programming, and outreach. Demonstrates strong leadership qualities and good judgement. Assumes responsibility for the library branch in the Branch Manager’s absence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all circulation related tasks
- Recruits, trains, schedules, supervises and evaluates staff and high school pages as assigned by the Branch Manager
- Solves problems with the ability to ease tense situations
- Oversees volunteers assigned to work in public and stacks areas of the library as assigned by the Branch Manager
- Serves as a resource to public service staff when answering policy and procedural questions
- Assists customers at their point of need to find answers to a broad range of questions by using appropriate resources
- Refers customers to the Public and Youth Services Librarians for in depth assistance
- Uses technology to serve customers and to streamline workflow
- Orders all branch supplies to include library cards, FOL brochures, QACL program guides, general office supplies, etc. per QACL procedures.
- Follows library procedures to open and close the building
- Understands and implements departmental, branch, and system policies and procedures
- Works with other staff to handle customer issues and respond to building problems with follow-up provided to Branch Manager
- Actively supports and adheres to the Staff Handbook for Queen Anne’s County Library
- May shelve materials and perform shelf reading tasks
- Performs building maintenance duties and other safety/security tasks as needed
- Participates in meetings and on committees or teams
- Provides exceptional customer service to internal and external customers
- Actively supports the library’s mission, vision, and strategic direction
- Demonstrates a commitment to teamwork
- Communicates effectively and engages in respectful and productive work relationships
- Demonstrates a commitment to innovation by embracing change, being flexible, and effectively solving problems
- Participates in training and development opportunities, and shares knowledge in the workplace
- Ability to follow instructions and work effectively under minimal supervision
- Other duties as assigned.
BS or BA degree required or ability to acquire degree within 2 years of hire. Knowledge of public library services and operations, acquired through three years of customer service, is preferred. Ability to obtain Library Associate Training Institute certification within 2 years of hire.