Position: Associate Director, Content and Discovery
Location: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Salary: $71,445 – $98,205
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
Job Req ID: 43836
Associate Director, Content and Discovery
The Associate Director, Content and Discovery is a member of the Library’s senior management team. This position provides stewardship of the Welch Medical Library’s collections through creative leadership and manages the evolving environment of scholarly communication, open access, and open science. This position oversees metadata creation and remediation, ontologies, schemas, and standards. This position directs the Collection and User Services departments including Acquisitions, Cataloging, Collection Development, ILL/Document Delivery, and Access Services. As a member of the Library’s senior management team, the Associate Director shares responsibility for determining the future course of the Welch Library, including both strategic and operational planning. This position reports to the Director of the Library.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Content and Discovery
- Responsible for core workflows and policies for the acquisition of a diverse range of library content with an emerging focus on developing new methods of appraising products and collections of all types.
- Implement knowledge of best practices in digital resource management and operations, copyright and intellectual property, and digital content management.
- Provide leadership and relationship building to advance openness and equity in scholarly communication, open access publishing, copyright, and open science initiatives.
- Innovate, collaborate, and experiment to realize scalable and standards-based approaches to metadata creation and management and develop appropriate metadata services.
- Develop and execute a $5M budget for library collections. Negotiate with publishers and vendors to ensure best pricing and access for licenses. Collaborate with regional and national consortia.
- Manage operations and professional staff of 10-12 responsible for acquiring, cataloging and providing access to the library’s collections, and contributing knowledge and training in scholarly communication. Hire, train and evaluate performance.
Library Wide Planning and Leadership
- Serve as a member of the managers group, which sets the course for the library’s future through strategic and operational planning and professional development activities.
- Serve as needed on associated planning committees, such as the strategic planning committee and library assessment committee.
- Work closely with other managers to recommend, develop, and implement new policies and procedures for overall library operations.
- Maintain awareness of system-wide issues, fosters understanding and support of library programs and promotes communication among library units and throughout the medical campus.
- Maintain awareness of advances in health sciences librarianship and their local applications.
MLS degree in library or library and information science or MBA is required. Five years of professional and progressively responsible experience in management and administration of library and information programs.
A second advanced degree in health sciences, public health, life sciences, computer sciences, or related degrees preferred. Education or experience in a biomedical discipline or setting preferred. Experience in writing and editing preferred. Experience in the application of information technology, knowledge management, or communication tools to solve problems and meet identified information needs is preferred. Demonstrated ability to cost-effectively assess needs, identify solutions and see opportunities for delivering information in a complex research, educational or clinical environment preferred. Demonstrated commitment to a professional community through professional association membership, publications, presentations, and/or professional leadership positions.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Demonstrated leadership abilities including problem-solving and critical thinking skills required. Strong interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills, a commitment to diversity and staff development are required.
Supervisory responsibility: 9
Classified Title: Library Services Manager
Working Title: Associate Director, Content and Discovery
Starting Salary Range: $71,445 – $98,205; commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm, Up to 37.5 hrs/ week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 02-MD:Mount Washington Campus
Department name: 10002623-SOM Admin Welch User Svcs and Collects
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu”) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Position: Library Technician (Senior)
Location: Air Force District of Washington, Andrews Air Force Base, MD
Salary: $18 to $18 per hour
Full vacancy announcement available on USAJOBS.
About the position:
This position will be assigned to the Library Department at Joint Base Andrews, MD 20762.
Long periods of standing; recurring activities such as bending, crouching, stooping, stretching and reaching.
Must be able to frequently lift boxes that weigh up to 40 pounds.
Must be able to reach up to 72 inches with or without the assistance of a step stool
Monitors all circulation and technical service operations and resolves problems and deviations.
Develops publicity and marketing materials for review and approval.
Evaluates circulation and technical service policies, procedures, processes and recommends improvements.
Conducts library tours and orientations.
Administers library programs and prepares an after-action report and evaluation.
Devises and adapts various search strategies within the librarys holdings and utilizes on-line databases and CD-ROM resources to provide reference services to customers.
If interested in applying for this position you may preview the online application: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10962047