Position: Branch Manager
Location: Howard County Library System
Salary: $69,778 – $122,356 per year
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
HCLS is an award-winning and highly regarded educational institution because we hire extraordinary people. We seek to create and maintain an environment of inclusion, diversity, and respect for employees. Whether working directly with customers or behind the scenes, our remarkable team of educators and support staff is committed to education that aids in the dismantling of unjust systems and creating a more equitable and just society for all people. As such, we work to ensure that this mission achieves our racial and social equity goals in all that we do. We offer a friendly, collaborative work environment and a generous benefits package including 14 paid holidays and your birthday off. Interested in joining our team?
- Positions Howard County Library System (HCLS) as a major component of public education for all ages
- Ensures HCLS’ educational mission achieves its racial and social equity goals
- Effectively lives the Seven Pillars of HCLS’ strategic plan (Authentic Values, Strategic Vocabulary, Everyone a Leader, Winning Teamwork, Community Partnerships, The Power of Us, and Fiercely Loyal Customers), motivating others to do so as well
- Fully embraces HCLS’ educational mission, effectively communicating our curriculum, which comprises Three Pillars (Self-Directed Education, Research Assistance & Instruction, Instructive & Enlightening Experiences)
- Enthusiastically directs, oversees, and manages the curriculum, activities, events and day-to-day Branch operations to advance public education for everyone
- Leads the creation, implementation, evaluation and overall execution of all Branch functions, performance/service plan to promote public education
- Establishes Branch culture by modeling HCLS vision, fostering positive working relationships, and encouraging creativity and camaraderie on a daily basis
- Ensures service, instruction and research adhere to HCLS’ customer service philosophy
- Motivates staff to achieve HCLS’ seven internal pillars (Authentic Values, Strategic Vocabulary, Everyone a Leader, Winning Teamwork, Community Partnerships, The Power of Us, and Fiercely Loyal Customers)
- Ensures staff meets or exceeds the job performance expectations set forth in Achieving Excellence
- Collaborates with Branch Leadership Team and staff to ensure daily operations exceed customer service expectations
- Collaborates with managers at all levels to advance customer service and experience
- Serves as a conduit for communicating to staff, ensuring that employees are well informed on a continuous basis
- Identifies staff educational needs and resources to address them
- Develops and teaches classes
- Thorough understanding of, and ability to perform all Branch functions, filling in as needed
- Oversees and participates in the Branch’s role in A+ Partners in Education
- May serve as a A+ liaison and/or on the A+ Advisory Committee
- Serves on HCLS systemwide committees
- Proactively seeks solutions to concerns and issues raised relating to the public
- Performs ongoing evaluation of Branch materials and makes recommendations to, and collaborates with, Materials Management to maximize borrowing
- Ensures that the appearance of all public areas of the Branch reflects HCLS’ vision and culture
- Seeks and initiates opportunities to partner with other community leaders and organizations to promote HCLS’ educational mission and its racial and social equity goals
- Represents HCLS on miscellaneous committees and boards and at county-wide events
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Adheres to all policies and procedures
Position: Youth Services Manager
Location: Caroline County Public Library
Salary: $42,000 to $48,000 per year
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
The Caroline County Public Library, located on the scenic Eastern Shore of Maryland seeks an innovative, experienced, conscientious, and community-oriented Youth Services Librarian to oversee all aspects of library programs and services for youth aged 0-17 and their families. The purpose of this position is to provide library services to youth, to their families, and to adults working with youth; promote love of literature; encourage engagement in STEAM learning; and to promote information literacy for youth. As a management position in a small public library (20 FTE employees), this position requires proficiency in frontline customer service and youth program delivery along with the ability to manage budgets, apply for and manage grants, contribute to the library’s strategic plan, and supervise staff. Strong project management and interpersonal communication skills are required for success. Given the current conditions of delivering library services during the COVID-19 public health emergency, the successful candidate will demonstrate flexibility, creativity, and confidence in designing and delivering both virtual and in-person programs and services. The Caroline County Public Library is dedicated to ensuring equity of library services to the community; as such, we seek a librarian who views library services through an equity lens and is skilled at partnering with organizations to deliver services to traditionally underserved groups.
- Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program.
- Two years of experience working in a public library.
- Possess a Maryland Class “C” driver’s license or an equivalent from another state.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of computer proficiency, including familiarity with both Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Two years of experience working with youth of all ages in a public library environment.
- One year of supervisory experience.
- One year of youth collection development experience.