Position: Legal & Business Research Analyst
Location: K & L Gates, Washington, DC
Full vacancy announcement available on AALL Career Center.
At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
The Legal and Business Research Analyst provides research on legal and non-legal topics in response to questions from our lawyers and staff. Analysts also offer training on research tools and techniques, both in formal presentations and on an as-needed basis.
The analysts are part of the Library & Research Services team, members of which work from multiple offices in the United States and Australia. We work collaboratively to serve lawyers and staff across K&L Gates’ global platform. This position reports directly to the Manager, Reference & Research Services (02655), with additional oversight and guidance provided by the Team Lead, Legal & Business Research Analyst.
The successful candidate may join our Library staff in one of two of our offices, either in Pittsburgh, PA, or in Washington, D.C. So, we are looking for a qualified person who currently resides in (or is planning to move to) one of these two locations. At the outset of his or her employment, our new analyst will work remotely. As the office in question resumes normal operation, our new analyst will begin to work from that office’s Library (as conditions permit).
- Expertly conduct online legal, business, and public records research
- Prepare and deliver instruction on research techniques and tools for lawyers and staff on-demand, virtually, and in scheduled live sessions.
- Actively liaise with selected practice and industry groups to develop subject expertise and facilitate better and more proactive service-delivery.
- Pursue professional development opportunities and remain current on technological, professional and industry developments in librarianship.
- Present clear, readily digestible results, responsive to the question(s) asked, and in a timely manner.
- Additional technical services tasks and projects may be assigned as needed.
- Responsibilities occasionally may require an adjusted work schedule, overtime, evening and/or weekend hours to meet deadlines.
- Qualified applicants must have a Master’s degree in Library & Information Science (M.L.I.S. or equivalent) and either a J.D. degree or at least three years’ full-time experience as a reference/research librarian in a law firm or legal department (corporate or governmental).
- Expertise in legal bibliography, legal research methods and the more common legal and business information research-tools, including most of the following: HeinOnline, LexisNexis, Practical Law, Westlaw, Cheetah, Bloomberg Law, S&P Capital IQ, D&B Hoovers.
- Strong customer service orientation, excellent interpersonal skills and team-spiritedness.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize projects and manage multiple (and sometimes complex) research projects, often on tight deadlines, while maintaining a fine attention to detail.
ABOUT THE FIRM
K&L Gates is a fully integrated global law firm with approximately 2,000 lawyers across five continents. We have experienced dramatic growth in the past decade and now rank among the largest U.S. based law firms in the world. We take pride in constantly striving for innovation, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit. We come up with big ideas and then roll up our sleeves to get the job done, guiding our clients through their most complex issues in a variety of industry sectors and across multiple regions of the world.
The industry recognition the firm has garnered in the past five years emanates from the foundation of a global community aligned on behalf of our clients. The people at K&L Gates are committed to working together to create a legacy for each other, the firm, our clients, and the communities in which we serve. We thrive in an inclusive and socially conscious environment that embraces diversity and takes a holistic approach to the career evolution of all our professionals.
For more information or to view other job opportunities, please click here to go back to our careers page.
Notice: We participate in E-Verify in certain Firm locations for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent benefits.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Firm is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Firm that employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or affected by virtue of a person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy governs all aspects of employment including, without limitation, recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, assignment and dismissal. In addition, it is the Firm’s policy to provide an environment that is free of unlawful harassment of any kind including, without limitation, that which is sexual, racial, age-related, disability-related or ethnic background-related.