Position: Materials Management & Technical Service Director
Location: Administrative Office, Harford County Public Library, Belcamp, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
The Materials Management & Technical Services Director manages and oversees the Materials Management and Technical Services Departments operations, activities, staff, and workflow. Develops, plans, and executes library and department objectives supporting the selection, purchase, cataloging, and processing of physical and digital materials the library provides to the citizens of Harford County.
- Manages the activities, operations, and workflow of the Materials Management and Technical Services Departments;
- Oversees the selection of library materials, both digital and physical, including the interpretation of censorship and freedom of access issues;
- Formulates and manages department budget;
- Reviews and implements selection policies and procedures;
- Performs long-range planning and priority goal setting for the library collections in the system;
- Interacts with staff to facilitate problem-solving strategies;
- Performs public service at the information desk;
- Negotiates contracts and acts as liaisons with vendors and publishers;
- Develops, plans, and executes library objectives by translating into materials initiatives and activities that support public service goals;
- Promotes and facilitates teamwork between department and other library staff;
- Responds to and resolves customer complaints in relation to the selection of materials;
- Works with Chief Operating Officer in assessing community needs and interests as they pertain to materials management;
- Actively involved in the community through participation in community groups and developing partnerships in support of library services.
- Serves as a hiring manager and supervises assigned staff, as well as assigned volunteers;
- Oversees the training of staff and volunteers, as assigned;
- Administers the Performance Recognition System (PRS), the librarys performance evaluation system, in accordance with published guidelines;
- Approves annual leave and checks and tabulates timesheets for assigned staff;
- Prepares monthly reports, meeting agendas, and monthly schedules.
- Interprets and implements system-wide policies and procedures;
- Schedules and facilitates department/team meetings;
- Ensures staff receive and understand the system and department communications via written, electronic format or in-person meetings.
- Serves on committees and participates in workshops, seminars, and training as requested;
- Represents Library at various outreach activities, as needed;
- Maintains good public relations with the community through contacts with public officials, community leaders, volunteers, Friends of the Library, appropriate school personnel, and the general public;
- Learns new skills and technologies to retain proficiency in areas of expertise;
- Is dependable and punctual;
- Maintains a positive, friendly, and cooperative attitude and provides consistent customer service;
- Upholds all library policies and procedures as defined in Harford County Public Librarys Policies and Procedures Manual;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree in Library Science or related field in an approved library-related curriculum from ALA-accredited institution;
- Ability to obtain State of Maryland certification as a Professional Librarian within six months of hire;
- Five or more years of related professional library experience in a public library setting;
- Two or more years of materials management and/or technical services experience;
- Five years of supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of literature for both adult and children;
- Broad knowledge of library materials, publishing, readers advisory, and public library/reference work;
- Specific knowledge regarding censorship issues and intellectual freedom as it applies to library collections;
- Ability to gain advanced knowledge of Harford County Public Library policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of Harford County Public Library to the public;
- Ability to assess community needs and develop, plan, implement, and execute library materials selection and processing initiatives to meet those needs;
- Ability to review, evaluate, and initiate appropriate action on technical reports, contracts, and documents concerning departmental matters;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other professionals;
- Proven ability to supervise and mentor a team;
- Ability to create long-range goals in light of future trends in library service;
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records;
- Ability to be flexible and creative while prioritizing and multitasking;
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines;
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible and patient with customers and staff;
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
Position: Multiple Positions
Location: North East Branch, Cecil County Public Library
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
Opening in the spring of 2021, Cecil County Public Library’s two-story library will usher in a new level of access, experiences, and opportunities for the Cecil County community. Centrally located, it is within walking distance of the Town of North East and just minutes from the county’s many scenic waterways and I-95.
With sweeping sight lines and sustainable features, the first floor welcomes the public to discover new books, enjoy the peace of reading and study rooms, and build skills in the Digital Media Lab. Business Librarians will support entrepreneurs in the Business Commons, complete with collaborative workspaces.
The entire second floor is dedicated to families, youth, and their development. The intentionally designed Teen Center includes study rooms and an interactive technology station. The Children’s Room features an Early Literacy Center and hands-on STEM learning area. The unique Family Gathering Area bridges these two dynamic learning spaces.
Are you highly motivated to champion reading, build knowledge, and inspire curiosity in your community? Apply to become a part of the award-winning CCPL team, winners of the National Medal for Libraries.
Full-Time Branch Manager
Under the direct supervision of the Branch Services Manager, the Branch Manager leads and manages public services staff and operations of the North East branch library. Ensures the development and delivery of a full range of highly responsive services and strategic priorities across all library spaces, including the Business Commons, Digital Media Lab, Early Literacy Center, and dedicated Teen room.
For more information or to apply, visit Branch Manager
Full-Time Assistant Branch Manager-Youth Services Supervisor
Under the general supervision of the North East Library Branch Manager, the Assistant Branch Manager will lead and manage the Teen and Children’s Services departments at the North East branch of the Cecil County Public Library. This position develops, manages, and delivers a full range of effective and innovative programs and services that meet the needs of teens, children, families, and caregivers within the community. Manages the second floor operations of the North East Branch Library including an Early Literacy Center, dedicated Teen Room, and Family Gathering area. Works with the Branch Manager in planning and implementing branch goals.
For more information or to apply, visit Assistant Branch Manager
Full-Time Librarian II-Adult Services Supervisor
Under direct supervision of the Branch Manager, the Adult Services Supervisor/Librarian leads and manages the Adult Services department of the North East Branch. This position develops, manages, and delivers a full range of effective and innovative programs and services that meet the needs of adults within the community.
For more information or to apply, visit Adult Services Supervisor
Full-Time Circulation-Customer Service Supervisor
Under direct supervision of the Branch Manager, the Supervisor leads and manages the daily operations and functions of the Circulation Department and Main Customer Service Desk in the system’s largest library branch. Also serves as lead operator for the automated materials handling system. Models exceptional customer service and empowers library staff to do the same.
For more information or to apply, visit Customer Service Supervisor