Position: Circulation Manager
Location: Arbutus Branch, Baltimore County Public Library
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
- Takes an active role in recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating circulation staff.
- Accurately assesses staff abilities.
- Develops staff strengths and coaches to improve performance.
- Works in collaboration with the Branch Manager to set performance expectations and customer service goals for circulation staff.
- Mentors, develops and works closely with the Assistant Circulation Manager.
- Works in collaboration with the management team to ensure that high quality customer service is delivered to customers.
- Assists customers at public service desk and resolves complex customer account transactions.
- Works with other in-charge staff to address time-sensitive security and facilities issues.
- Models continuous learning and encourages and supports continuous staff development.
- Generates and submits reports to Fiscal Services, Human Resources and Administrative Offices.
- Assists in monitoring the work of contractual staff.
- Actively supports teamwork and the policies and values of the Baltimore County Public Library.
- Performs all essential circulation staff functions as determined by branch and system needs.
- Demonstrates BCPL’s Workplace Competencies and proficiency in Core Services.
- Graduation from high school or high school equivalency. A college degree is desirable
- Comprehensive knowledge of public library circulation operations acquired through four years of progressively increasing work responsibilities in a public library environment. One year of supervisory experience is preferred.
- A commitment to excellent customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Substantial experience using an ILS, Polaris experience preferred.
- Ability to stand at a public service desk for lengthy periods of time and move throughout the branch, the ability to bend, lift up to 50 pounds and push or pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to bend, kneel, crouch, and stretch for extended periods of time.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful relationships with customers, co-workers and community groups.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, tasks and emergencies in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers.
- Must pass post-offer criminal background screening.
Position: Librarian (Acquisition), GS-1410-11/12 (CA-DEU)
Location: Geological Survey, Department of Interior, Reston, VA
Salary: $67,956 to $108,422 per year
Full vacancy announcement available on USAJOBS.
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
– There is one vacancy that may be filled in either Denver, CO, or Reston, VA; however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
– Open to current or former Federal employees: SAC-2019-0251
As a Librarian (Acquisition) within the Core Science Systems Office , some of your specific duties will include:
- Serve as the subject matter expert and senior librarian for library acquisitions.
- Provide and oversee a wide variety of library activities and services requiring searching byond readily accessible sources of information.
- Management, coordination, and oversight for daily functions such as claims, cancellations, payments, monitoring of expenses and finances, liaising with vendors to ensure access to serials subscriptions.
- Coordinate serial subscription renewal process. Ensure federal acquisition regulations are identified, understood, and followed in order to complete the requesting and purchasing process.
- Provide technical services supporting the library system, including acquisition of the information from a variety of sources, cataloguing and classification of materials in the library.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of library technicians supporting Acquisitions functions within the Library Program.
- Provide reports on the of budget with regard to library service functions, and may provide input for special initiatives.
- The GS-11 level position is identical to the GS-12 level position, except that the incumbent will be under closer supervisory controls in the form of oral and written instructions and review of completed work.