Position: Library Services Assistant
Location: Thurgood Marshall Law Library, Baltimore, MD
Salary Range: $13.23/hour
The Thurgood Marshall Law Library at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law is hiring two (2) part-time, night and weekend Library Assistants. Under direct supervision, the selected candidate performs routine clerical and/or non-complex library duties using manual and automated library systems. Shifts currently available are Sunday from 3:00-8:00pm, Monday from 6:00-11:00pm, Thursday from 6-11pm and Saturday from 3-8pm. Schedules follow the academic calendar and can change each semester based on library’s need.
- Searches automated and/or manual systems to locate materials or verify information about materials in library collections.
- Searches and retrieves materials from library collections. Sorts and shelves materials.
- Charges and discharges circulating library materials using the library management system.
- Provides customers with information and directional assistance about library collections and services.
- Assists in processing new materials including verifying shipment contents and marking materials as library property; or other physical processing tasks.
- Performs repetitive procedures such as photocopying or scanning, opening and delivering mail, collecting or compiling statistics, filing, data entry, and maintenance of library information resources.
- Assists in monitoring, ordering, receiving and storing library inventory or supplies.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
Skill in alphabetic and numeric filing. Ability to learn and understand library terminology and functions; to communicate effectively; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library users and staff; to lift, transport, sort and shelve library materials; to operate standard library and office equipment including personal computers and library software, photocopiers, microfilm and microfiche readers.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are not eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Job: CI Exempt or Non-Exempt Staff –