Position: Metadata Specialist Coordinator
Location: University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobLIST.
Category: Exempt, Regular
Department: Discovery and Metadata Services
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days of Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays, Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
The Metadata Specialist Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and managing activities related to complex problem solving, database corrections, metadata enhancement and quality control, and advanced copy and original cataloging of collections at University of Maryland Libraries. The Metadata Specialist applies relevant national, University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI), and local policies related to bibliographic database corrections, advanced copy cataloging, and quality control in catalogUSMAI, WorldCat, the WorldCat knowledge base, Digital Collections, and various digital library systems. The incumbent will work with library resources in all subjects, in various languages, and in a variety of formats, both tangible and electronic. The Metadata Specialist maintains the accuracy of bibliographic description and holdings information and ensures discovery and access of print and electronic materials.
Reporting to the Head of Discovery and Metadata Services, the Metadata Specialist Coordinator will participate in the planning and implementation of policies, workflows, and special projects to achieve departmental goals and objectives. The Metadata Specialist manages multiple workflows from different sources and with competing priorities. The incumbent may participate in committees and group activities in the department, division, and University Libraries.
- Able to work for extended periods at a computer screen using a graphical user interface, in a multiple window environment with a variety of font sizes
- Able to maintain sustained concentration with detailed work
- Moderate physical activity is required for lifting books, pushing book trucks, and packing/disposing of materials
- Able to lift heavy materials, work with dusty materials, and carefully handle materials in poor condition
- Requires traveling to other buildings on campus and working in a variety of situations
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years progressively responsible relevant experience in an academic or research library in bibliographic database management, copy cataloging, or activities related to the primary duties of the position
- Proficiency with searching and retrieving bibliographic records in integrated library systems
- Proficiency with the Windows interface, desktop computer applications, and a major email client
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, including Excel
- Able to work in the environment described in “Physical Demands”
- Able to take direction, as well as work independently, as part of a unit and department in a production-oriented, quality focused, dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Evidence of strong customer service orientation
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/65124. No relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States; the University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume, and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until 12/09/2018.
Position: Branch Manager III
Location: Waldorf West Branch, Charles County Public Library, Waldorf, MD
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
Closing Date: 11/30/2018 at 5:00 PM
Charles County Public Library is seeking a qualified and experienced Branch Manager to coordinate the day-to-day operations and delivery of programs and services of a large branch library; plan; supervise and develop staff; work closely with other Branch Managers for system-wide strategic planning; oversee branch security guards; act as a Director or Assistant Director as required.
1. Establishes priorities and work schedules for effective utilization of branch staff.
2. Recommends for hire, trains, supervises, coaches and evaluates branch staff.
3. Plans and supervises collection development of branch to ensure collections meet community needs.
4. Analyzes reports, timesheets and branch statistics.
5. Assists customers with a consistently high level of customer service.
6. Handles all funds collected and deposited in the branch.
7. Recommends and implements goals and objectives for the branch.
8. Resolves customer complaints.
9. Communicates and interprets library policies, procedures and rules.
10. Communicates administrative information and decisions to branch staff.
11. Oversees the branch budgets for materials and staff.
12. Oversees and coordinates branch security guards.
13. Participates in developing and implementing short- and long-range strategic plans for the library.
14. Manages special projects as needed.
15. Oversees programming in the branch and assists as needed.
16. Cultivates and maintains relationships with a variety of external library partners and community organizations.
17. Professionally represents the library at community and organizational events that further the Library’s missions and goals.
18. Fulfills continuing education requirements and stays current with library developments.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. MLS degree from ALA accredited library school or BA and coursework towards an MLS degree within five years.
2. Five years related experience and increasingly responsible positions in a public library including two years supervisory experience.
3. State of Maryland Certification as Professional Librarian within eighteen months of hire.
Please send your application, resume and cover letter to Human Resources via email to email@example.com or send to the address below:
2 Garrett Ave.
La Plata, MD 20646
ATTN: Marina Turner, HR
Applications can be found on the Library’s website at www.ccplonline.org.