Position: Law Librarian
Location: USDA Office of the General Counsel (OGC), Washington, DC
Originally posted on LLSDC Job Listings.
The USDA Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is seeking a candidate for a detail as the OGC Law Librarian. The conditions of the detail will be handled on a case-by-case basis and will require an agreement between the gaining and losing organizations. The assignment will begin November 12, 2018, and run for a period not to exceed three months, with the possibility of extension. This detail opportunity is open to all U.S. citizens.
This detail is a part-time detail (16 hours per week) available in the Law Library at USDA OGC located at 1400 Independence Ave, SW, Washington, DC. The candidate will be providing the services of a Law Librarian during their tenure.
The qualified candidate will possess the ability to communicate effectively, have strong organizational capabilities, have knowledge and experience with handling WESTLAW and LEXIS searches, and be self-motivated.
Apply by 11:59 p.m. October 31, 2018 by sending resume and cover letter with Law Librarian Detail in subject line to OGC, ATTN: Angela Ervin at OGCInternships@ogc.usda.gov.
USDA is an Equal Opportunity/Reasonable Accommodation Employer. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency.
Position: Digital Asset Librarian
Location: White House Historical Association, Washington, DC
Salary: $35,000.00 – $45,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
The White House Historical Association is seeking a Digital Asset Librarian to join its Digital Library team on a one-year contract. Primary duties will include the identification of digital and analog images, researching their provenance, and writing metadata and descriptions according to in-house standards. The Digital Asset Librarian also assists with the digitization of photographs, slides, and other materials for ingest and participates in developing and maintaining metadata standards. Additional responsibilities may include: training staff to use the Digital Library and assisting in the supervision of department interns. This is a one year contract position at the White House Historical Association in downtown Washington D.C.
Please submit a cover letter describing relevant experience and a resume including the names and contact information of three references to Dr. Stephanie Tuszynski, Director of the Digital Library, via email to STuszynski at whha.org by November 12, 2018. The White House Historical Association is an equal opportunity employer.
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Familiarity with metadata formats, standards, and schema (e.g., Dublin Core, METS, MODS, EAD, etc.).
- Experience with digitization software and hardware.
- Demonstrated experience with research methodologies, particularly related to historical research.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Superior writing skills, including the ability to write for multiple audiences.
- Knowledge of copyright and the rights and reproduction process.
- Experience with oral history projects.
- Experience with or degree in American history.
Position: Business Research Librarian
Location: Eversheds Sutherland, Washington, DC
Full vacancy announcement is available on the CUA SLIS blog.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Business Research Librarian in the Atlanta, GA or Washington, DC office at Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP. We are searching for someone who wants to be a valued contributor and member of a talented and dynamic team of lawyers, paralegals and staff.
The Business Research Librarian will work with the Library and Research Services team to provide business, industry and competitive intelligence research in support of attorneys and the Client Practice and Business Development group (CPD). This position will also support the legal research team as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide research on companies, industries, competitors, and individuals as requested by attorneys or members of CPD and synthesize this information into usable reports, and assist other business research librarians with the same.
- Handle routine requests including executive biographies, basic company reports, litigation profiles, and conference attendee information.
- Create, monitor and distribute daily news alerts on clients, companies, topics, and trends using appropriate online resources to support attorneys and Business Development Managers.
- Assist with specific legal research requests and projects as assigned by legal research librarians, law librarians and/or Library Manager.
- Understand existing tools and resources, and assist in the evaluation, differentiation and selection of business and news information resources.
- Provide back-up to the legal reference desk rotation, responding to requests from attorneys and staff on behalf of the department.
- Maintain research statistics for the business research team.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as requested by the Library Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from an accredited college or university.
- Seven to ten years in a law firm, corporate library or similar business research role preferred. Experience with online databases including CapitalIQ, D&B Hoovers, and West Monitor Suite.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are required. Excellent interpersonal skills; attention to detail; strong organization and time management skills; customer service orientation; tactful and professional when dealing with clients; interested in learning and problem solving.
- Computer skills with knowledge of MS Office Suite and proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook is required. Familiarity with online news, business, legal and industry resources.