Position: Assistant Law Librarian
Location: Federal Reserve, Washington, DC
Salary Grade Low: 25
Originally posted on LLSDC Job Listings.
The Assistant Law Librarian performs administrative functions for the Law Library and Legal Records office at the direction of the Law Librarian, in addition to performing all of the duties and responsibilities of either a Legislative Librarian or a Reference/Cataloging Librarian, as set forth in those respective job descriptions. The Assistant Law Librarian assumes responsibility for the Law Library in the absence of the Law Librarian.
- Successful candidate will have advanced knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of librarianship or information management typically acquired through the completion of a Master’s Degree in Library Science and through 3 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of the legislative process, legislative documentation, and printed and automated legislative and regulatory research tools.
- Experience compiling legislative histories, monitoring Congress, and providing legislative reference service.
- Successful candidate must demonstrate strong organization and planning skills, good management and outstanding information technology skills, as well as the ability to work independently and handle a diverse workload.
- Requires excellent communication and customer service skills including the ability to work effectively with others.
The Assistant Law Librarian performs many varied duties in assisting the Law Librarian with the day-to-day operations of the Law Library such as planning and implementing new legal research tools; keeps current on new policies and procedures for management of Board and Legal Division information, as well as on technological developments in the program area; and keeps current on trends in legislative and administrative objectives and understands how they may result in future banking law modifications.
Please apply online at https://www.federalreserve.gov/careers.htm
All inquiries, please contact Jessica Nevins at Jessica.email@example.com
Position: Head of Reference
Location: Georgetown University Law, Washington, DC
Full vacancy announcement available on AALL Career Center.
Georgetown University Law Library is seeking applications for a Head of Reference, based in the Edward Bennett Williams Law Library.
Located in the nation’s capital, and within walking distance of the U.S. Congress and the Supreme Court, Georgetown University Law Center is recognized for the quality of scholarship, its renowned faculty, and for its exceptionally talented and diverse student body. Focused on service, excellence and innovation, it is among the largest academic law libraries in the nation and includes a comprehensive collection in U.S., international, foreign, and comparative law materials.
The Head of Reference manages all aspects of the library’s reference department to ensure that the library provides high-quality professional research and information services to Law Center faculty, staff, students, and other patrons.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating reference desk coverage provided by 15-20 librarians covering weekday, evening, and weekend hours
- Supervising legal research instructional programs
- Oversees development of guides and other research aids for the library website
- Participating in collection development with a focus on U.S. law
- Leading reference service initiatives and outreach programs
The position directly supervises 6 full-time librarians and coordinates both the library’s faculty liaison program and one full-time paraprofessional in consultation with Heads of the International and Foreign Law Department and Library Research Services.
- D. from an ABA-accredited law school or non-U.S. J.D. equivalent
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited school of library and/or information studies or non-U.S. Master’s degree equivalent
- 3 or more years of library experience
- Supervisory experience
- Experience teaching
- Experience with legal research materials, including online legal databases
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Evidence of teamwork, strong service and work ethic, creativity, initiative, and flexibility
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for the Head of Reference position, please submit applications via the Georgetown University Careers portal and include a cover letter, a current resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Address applications to Joseph W. Thomas, Acting Director of the Law Library. To receive full consideration, application materials should be received by October 3, 2018.
Georgetown University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.