Position: Resource Sharing Specialist
Location: University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Full vacancy announcement is available on CUA SLIS blog.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Provides Interlibrary Loan Services to UMD users and other libraries. Processes interlibrary loan requests and materials in ILLiad, with an emphasis on non-returnables. Ensures compliance with U.S. Copyright Law and CONTU Guidelines. Provides guidance and instruction to library support staff and student assistants performing tasks related to interlibrary loan. Provides assistance to UMD Libraries’ users and communicates with staff at other libraries. Assists the Head of Resource Sharing & Reserves with improving the unit’s web presence and external communication.
Note: Volume for these services is closely tied to the academic calendar. Accordingly, annual leave cannot be used during the month of January and the two weeks before and after the start of the Fall and Spring semesters, except in emergencies or other exceptional circumstances. These are peak periods with increased workloads for the Resource Sharing & Reserves unit.
- Bachelors Degree and one year of experience directly related to the primary duties of the job.
- Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
- Experience working in an academic library. Experience in leading and training student assistants or other employees.
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- General knowledge and understanding of
- the nature and function of libraries
- library services, standards and procedures
- ibliographic records, publishing and publication formats, and library information storage and retrieval systems.
- Skill in
- alphabetic and numeric filing
- using a computer terminal to input and retrieve information
- interpreting and applying library policies and procedures
- analyzing problems of a moderately complex nature.
- Able to
- communicate effectively
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with library users and staff
- provide guidance and instruction to subordinate personnel
- work independently
- exercise initiative in interpreting and applying rules, procedures, and instructions
- Familiarity using ILLiad, OCLC WorldShare, and/or RapidILL.
- Familiarity operating multifunction printers and scanners.
- Knowledge of U.S. Copyright Law section 108 and section 107 as it applies to libraries and CONTU guidelines.
- Experience editing webpages and using content management systems and/or knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Position: Information Services Manager
Location: Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc., Salisbury, MD
Full vacancy announcement is available on CUA SLIS blog.
Under the direct supervision of the ESRL Administrator, manages the day to day operation of the Information Services Department. This includes supervision of departmental employees and development of the vision, plan, and budget for the department. This high-level professional position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This is a salaried position with a range of $58,000 to $68,000 depending on experience and qualifications. ESRL offers a generous benefits package, including a deferred compensation plan, as well as enrollment in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System.
- Selects and administers collection of electronic resources, including ebooks and digital audiobooks, to be provided to the region.
- Oversees departmental issues related to the Eastern Shore ILS Consortium and Polaris.
- In cooperation with member libraries, selects and negotiates pricing for subscription databases to be provided to the region.
- Directs and controls the expenditure of departmental fund allocations within the constraints of approved budgets.
- Serves as a consultant on departmental issues to staff of the member libraries.
- Facilitates region-wide interest groups for member library staff.
- Plans and oversees region-wide programs and initiatives, including the Annual Children’s Author Visit.
- Evaluates and administers programs such as daily materials delivery, interlibrary loan, and technical services.
- Maintains and interprets statistics and usage records for the assessment/evaluation of services.
- Maintains membership in professional organizations necessary to the success and advancement of library services.
- Maintains awareness of trends that have potential impact on libraries and monitors new developments and technologies in the areas of digital resources, youth services, library programs and outreach.
- Represents ESRL and the region on appropriate committees and interest groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of established public library practices and procedures
- Knowledge of best practices in the areas of digital resource and youth services
- Ability to track expenditures and manage a budget
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Strong communication skills
- Travel among the eight library systems and throughout Maryland will be required
Master’s Degree in Library Science (or MLIS) from an accredited source plus three years of progressively responsible public library experience, with at least one year in a supervisory capacity.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with a consortial ILS – preferably Innovative’s Polaris
- Computer and technology skills as appropriate for the position.
- A cover letter
- A professional resume
- Four professional references, including at least one from your current position.
The position will remain open until September 28, 2018. Background check will be required for final candidate.
Send documents to: email@example.com or mail to:
Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.
31901 Tri-County Way, Suite 116-B
Salisbury, MD 21804
Position: Research Librarian
Location: Foley & Lardner, Washington, DC
Full vacancy announcement available on AALL Career Center.
The Research Librarian is responsible for successfully meeting the online research needs of the legal staff; this includes execution of comprehensive database searches to support all practice groups and expanding knowledge of legal database resources. The Research Librarian is also responsible for monitoring Research & Information Services (RIS) requests and communicating with staff in order to help manage departmental workflow across time zones. Additional responsibilities include assisting with additional billable research, as needed; assisting other RIS staff with library orientations and marketing of services; assisting with research seminars for legal staff, upon request.
Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree is Library Information Science preferred
Minimum of one year of work experience in a Library or Legal setting which includes experience with Legal business and science/technology research concepts and resources
*Position must be located in any U.S. Foley & Lardner LLP office
Position: Library Information Specialist
Location: Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, VA
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobLIST.
Performs a variety of professional duties required to support original and copy cataloging and processing in support of school, center, and administrative office libraries divisionwide; or manages the professional library and its related projects and services.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in library science, plus two years of progressively more responsible experience as a fully proficient, professional librarian. Master’s degree preferred. Must possess a complete knowledge of the theory, practices and materials associated with the field of library science and its administration; ability to manage physical and financial resources; skill with technology used in cataloging and library support services; and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Interested candidates should apply online: http://careers.fcps.edu/gateway.htm?&tg=supp&req=10914BR