Senior Dewey Editor
Location: Associate can be based out of: Corporate Office in Dublin, Ohio, The Library of Congress in Washington, DC or can work remotely.
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
OCLC, a worldwide library services organization headquartered in Dublin, Ohio, is a leader in information technologies and innovative online services. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
The Senior Dewey Editor will develop and update the Dewey Decimal Classification in response to current and future needs of worldwide Dewey user community (including over 200,000 libraries in 140+ countries) and to address emerging applications and services in a wide variety of environments.
- Develop and update the DDC within the framework of the approved editorial work plan, researching subject areas, consulting with experts, and interacting with internal and external reviewers.
- Prepare and issue regular updates to the DDC for distribution in OCLC products and services, and to research teams, translation teams, and other licensees.
- Participate in the development and testing of new electronic products and services based on the DDC, and in research on new representations and uses of the system.
- Serve as technical liaison to development and research activities related to the Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Prepare and/or edit electronic publications and services based on the DDC.
- Develop and maintain mappings and crosswalks between the DDC and other vocabularies.
- Promote the Dewey Decimal Classification through presentations, papers, workshops, and conference participation throughout the world.
- Serve as liaison to DDC user and review groups.
- Review licensed translations and publications based on the DDC, and serve as liaison to translation advisory groups.
- Serve as a mentor and support for less experienced editorial staff. • Interoffice travel (2%); Domestic and international conferences and meetings (3%).
- Associate can be based out of: Corporate Office in Dublin, Ohio, The Library of Congress in Washington, DC or can work remotely.
Position: Librarian (Collection Development)
Location: Library of Congress
Salary: $56,233 to $73,105 per year
Full vacancy announcement available on USAJOBS.
This position is located in the Collection Development Office, Library Services, and reports to the Collection Development Officer. The incumbent in this position contributes to the Library of Congress’s mission to acquire, manage, preserve, and make available a universal collection of knowledge to meet the current and anticipated needs of Congress and the Nation. The incumbent works with guidance from senior analysts in the Collection Development Office (CDO) to conduct in-depth studies, recommend strategies to strengthen acquisition efforts in specific subjects and/or formats, and communicate trends to managers and staff in relevant offices throughout the Library and other external organizations.
Position: Alternate Program Manager
Location: Federal Library, Washington, DC
Originally posted on University of Maryland blogMLIS.
- Overseeing library technicians and catalogers in a high volume production environment working with catalog records under the direction of a Program Manager.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution is preferred but not required
- Experience with Integrated library Systems (especially Voyager) in creating, editing, and search bibliographic records
- Familiarity with LC Classification, AACR2, and MARC as well as familiarity with RDA and DCRM(B)
- Ability to train technical staff and oversee production level cataloging
- Ability to compile statistical data to produce daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong attention to detail
- Familiarity or knowledge of one or more Romance and other European languages is a plus
- Must have strong technical background and attention to detail.
Position: Community Branch Manager (Librarian III)
Location: Fairfax County Government, Fairfax, VA
Salary: $57,165.00 – $95,276.00 (Yearly Salary)
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA Joblist.
Responsible for overall management of the branch. Operates as leader of the branch management team and is accountable for the effective running of the library. Ensures that members of the public receive courteous, efficient service. Ensures that the collection and equipment serve community needs. Trains and counsels staff and evaluating their performance. Analyzes workload to ensure efficient staff scheduling. Implements system policies and forwards recommendations for appropriate changes to library administration. Provides direct service to the public using both print and non-print materials to respond to customers’ requests. Works with collection management department to improve the quality and usefulness of the branch’s collection. Works with community groups to encourage library use and to assist in making the branch more customer-friendly. May serve on library, county or community project teams as appropriate