Position: Assistant Director for Facilities and ADA
Location: Montgomery County Public Libraries, Rockville, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobLIST.
Are you interested in designing modern library spaces that will embody the ambitious, innovative goals of Montgomery County Public Libraries’ (MCPL) Strategic Plan?
MCPL is seeking an energetic, results-oriented professional with experience in project management, strong communication and organizational skills and a concentrated customer service focus to join our collaborative and dynamic administrative team. You will be a working administrator with a demonstrated track record of both strategy and execution.
In 2014, MCPL developed a ULC Innovation Award-winning cyclical, cost-effective and novel model to modernize and revitalize library branches by scheduling restoration of two-three library branches a year. Since then, 6 branches have been “refreshed,” resulting in a considerable cost savings and a well-received public response.
MCPL is an innovative, award-winning public library system serving a majority/minority population of over 1 million residents near the Nation’s capital. Montgomery County is one of Maryland’s outstanding places to live and work. Demographically, the County is approximately 48% white; 19% Hispanic or Latino; 19.5% Black or African American and 15.5% Asian. 91% of adult residents have at least a high school diploma while 58% hold a bachelor’s or higher degree.
MCPL is one of 28 departments in County government. It is a NACO (National Association of Counties) and Urban Libraries Council award winning educational system that has strong community support from its 1,043,000 plus residents. These residents are served by 21 full service brick and mortar facilities, a dynamic and easy to use 24/7 access website, and a ULC Innovation Award-winning Outreach Team providing service beyond MCPL’s walls.
The Assistant Director for Facilities and ADA performs professional library administrative work. Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Full accountability for the development of MCPL’s annual Capital Improvement Program Budget as well as oversight and decision making for scope development, design, and monitoring of the construction of the Refurbishment Level of Effort and new construction projects.
- Development and implementation of the Department’s Continuity of Operations, Emergency Evacuation Plans, Emergency Procedures, and Strategic Facilities Plans.
- Liaison to the Division of Facilities Management for escalated service requests and new work, and oversight of the development of State Capital Grant applications and the reports required as to fulfill grant requirements.
- Management of the Department’s Facilities Chargeback, Community Use of Public Facilities’ meeting room, and furniture budgets. Vendor cost estimates for security cameras, ID Badge readers, and new furniture.
- Communications with other County Departments and agencies involving security badge and code access to buildings, hours changes, storm water management and solar projects, meeting room bookings, worksite safety, self -inspection surveys and sector plan updates.
- Responsible for ensuring that MCPL offers accessible programs, services and facilities.
- MCPL’s liaison to the County’s Commission on People with Disabilities and MCPL’s Accessibility Advisory Committee.
- Oversight of the work of a number of the 21 branches of MCPL, providing direct supervision and evaluation of the branch managers and the Assistant Program Manager for Facilities and ADA.
- Assisting the Director and working with the Directors’ team to develop strategies to accomplish MCPL’s Strategic Plan will be integral to this position.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, the Assistant Director has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
This position reports directly to the Director of Public Libraries.
Library hours of operation are Sunday through Saturday including nights. Individual schedules, including nights, weekends and Sundays, will vary based on customer service needs and employees are expected to work some weekends and evenings.
This position requires employee to attend meetings, visit sites around Montgomery County, and perform work at various locations outside the office.
Experience: Seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in a field related to public library service, three years of which were in a supervisory or executive capacity. Note: The term “executive” is further defined as a high echelon or high-level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research, management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above).
Education: Master’s degree in library science or library information science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association.
Equivalency: No equivalency for Master’s degree.
Position: Regional Campus Librarian
Location: Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobLIST.
The Sheridan Libraries of Johns Hopkins University are seeking an innovative, technologically proficient professional who is looking for an opportunity to provide service to faculty and students in a research-rich academic environment. Reporting to the Manager of the DC Regional Campus Libraries and collaborating with Sheridan Libraries staff, the librarian is a key member of the team providing onsite and virtual services to graduate students and faculty at the JHU DC area centers. Schools with programs represented at the centers include the Carey Business School, School of Education, Krieger School of Arts and Science and the Whiting School of Engineering. The position demands a high level of proactive interaction between faculty, students and the librarian. In this liaison focused environment, the Regional Campus librarian will work both in teams and autonomously to provide resources and services to a very engaged community.
To view complete posting and to apply, please visit: https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Washington%2C-DC-Regional-Campus-Librarian-MD-20036/459883000/. For assistance, please email email@example.com.
• MLS from an ALA-accredited institution or related graduate degree required
• Three years professional library experience required.
• Experience serving a similar academic population or an undergraduate degree in a field represented by the schools we serve
• Professional experience in library instruction, reference, collection development
• Evidence of a user-centered vision and innovation
• Demonstrated commitment to customer service
• Strong teaching, interpersonal, and communication skills
• Advanced knowledge of library information systems and services
• Strong technology skills including experience with innovative applications of instructional and communication technologies such as LibGuides, chat software, current media tools, graphic design packages, Course Management software, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekend
Experience working in an academic or research library
Position: Dean of the Library and Information Technology
Location: Washington College, Chestertown, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobLIST.
Washington College invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the Library and Information Technology (LIT). LIT supports excellence in teaching, learning, research and scholarship by providing traditional and innovative services to students, faculty and staff that facilitate and support both academic and business enterprises within a reliable, robust and secure technology infrastructure.
Library and Information Technology is a new organizational unit, based on a restructuring that brings the information technology infrastructure staff into the existing unit of Miller Library and Academic Technology.
Reporting to the Provost and Dean of the College, the Dean of Library and Information Technology will set a bold new strategic direction and vision for this restructured organization. Towards that end, the College is seeking a transformational leader to advance the essential role of library and information technology and to develop innovative solutions to 21st century educational challenges.
The Dean of LIT, along with a dynamic team of experienced and engaged professional staff, is responsible for the management of library, academic technology, and IT infrastructure, including library services, educational technology, networks, telecommunications and desktop computer support. The Dean provides leadership, strategic planning and overall management of human, fiscal, curricular, scholarly and infrastructure resources for LIT.
The Dean collaborates with key academic and administrative leaders across the campus to deliver client-focused information and technology services that support the engaged teaching, learning and scholarship of faculty and students, as well as the work of staff and administration. As a member of the president’s senior staff, the Dean will actively participate in all its discussions, advising on matters related to college operations, initiatives and strategic direction. As a member of the faculty, the Dean will work closely with academic colleagues and advisory groups to envision and advise on innovative technologies to improve teaching, learning and administration.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references through our online portal at https://highereddecisions.com/wcm/current_vacancies.asp. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The Dean of LIT must have the following experiences, attributes and capabilities:
- Proven experience as a skilled leader and manager, with demonstrated capacity to recruit and retain highly qualified professionals; assess and develop the talents and expertise of staff; and build positive, service-oriented organizational culture with teams committed to collaboration and high-quality results
- Significant fiscal/budgetary experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop, articulate and implement a vision and strategy for library services, academic technology and network infrastructure to support teaching, learning, scholarship and business at Washington College
- Broad knowledge of the latest developments in advanced technologies including the planning, maintenance and security of the campus technology infrastructure information systems, library, academic/instructional and infrastructure technology issues, trends and strategies and the rapidly evolving role of technology as an educational and business tool
- Broad knowledge of current computing and communications-related technology such as digital networks, telephony, multimedia applications, distributed computing, hardware and software infrastructure and cloud-based services
- Experience with planning and leading significant library and information technology initiatives including the ability to coordinate complementary priorities and complete projects for relevant college offices and departments
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with college leaders to define and support institutional policies, operations and strategic direction
- Demonstrated ability working collaboratively with multiple constituencies in a close community, forming relationships of trust and confidence and communicating effectively with all constituents including the communication of technical issues and terminology in language understood by the broader college community
- Broad knowledge of legal issues and risks related to cyber security, privacy, data stewardship, intellectual property and copyright
- Deep understanding of and passion for the role of library services and academic technology in the teaching and learning environment of a liberal arts college
- The ability to implement changes, assess the impact of changes and make mid-course corrections where appropriate
- A strong commitment to diversity and inclusion
- A strong commitment to the liberal arts as evidenced by an advanced degree in a liberal arts subject area or equivalent academic or scholarly accomplishment
- A minimum of 10 years in library services and/or information technology including significant experience in a leadership role
Master’s degree in Library Science and/or Information Technology Management and a master’s degree in a liberal arts subject area
Position: Library Technician NF-03
Location: Medal of Honor Library (Department of the Army, Army Installation Management Command), Fort Meade, MD
Salary Range: $29,100 to $32,000
Full vacancy announcement available on USAJOBS.
- Incumbent is responsible for or performs a wide variety of public service duties: circulation, reference/readers advisory, database searching, collection maintenance, programming, marketing, displays/publicity, interlibrary loans, reserves.
- Incumbent is responsible for or performs a wide variety of technical service duties: cataloging/copy cataloging, ordering/receiving/processing/accounting for and de-acquisitioning of library materials, shelf inventories.
- Incumbent is responsible for or performs a wide variety of systems application and maintenance which may include standard office software, basic Integrated Library System and PC management.
- Performs selected administrative management duties to include ensuring internal controls are in place in public services and/or technical services.
- May manage a branch library or serve as a lead departmental library technician.
- Trains others in the performance of library technician duties.
One year of work experience that equipped the applicant with practical knowledge of library or related information services, tools, and methods and procedures. Experience must have been gained at the next lower level.
Reminder: Your experience has to be clearly identified in your application package/resume in order to receive consideration. (Format example: Month/Year to Month/Year employment with summary of duties).
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.