Location: Langsdale Library, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobList.
Note: Position is open until filled. Application review begins immediately, and electronic applications received by 2/15/2018 will receive priority consideration.
The University of Baltimore’s Langsdale Library seeks an Archivist in Special Collections to process archival collections. The successful candidate will process records in all formats according to professional standards and best practices, as well as create and update information about archival collections through the library’s information management systems. The academic selection team looks forward to receiving your required electronic application, cover letter, and resume to learn about your interest in the university’s work and your qualifications for our vacancy.
Our successful candidate will also assist the library with digital initiatives for access and preservation, as well as develop physical and digital exhibits of archival material in conjunction with library staff. This position also helps coordinate projects for volunteers, interns, and student assistants in Special Collections, as well as actively participates on University of Baltimore and University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institution (USMAI) committees and task groups. Employment offer is contingent on final position funding.
Required Minimum Qualifications: A Master of Library Science degree and demonstrated experience in archival collections management with one year of experience arranging and describing archival collections. Knowledge of current/emerging archival description standards and access systems for physical and digital holdings. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively with colleagues. Ability to support the work of a diverse range of visiting scholars and university students, staff, and faculty. Willingness and ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds while standing on a ladder. Demonstrated knowledge of local history.
Preferred Qualifications: Graduate-level coursework or concentration in archives or records management. One year of professional archival work experience.
To apply, save one PDF (strongly preferred format) or Word document with your cover letter and resume, and then visit http://www.ubalt.edu/about-ub/offices-and-services/human-resources/jobs-at-ub.cfm?&posting=1283 to access our electronic application.
Position: Fiscal Services Manager
Location: Baltimore County Public Library, Towson, MD
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobLIST.
- Under the general direction of the Director manages the payroll, finance, and budgeting operations of the Library in alignment with Baltimore County Government fiscal guidelines.
- Maintains knowledge of, and advises library management and the Board of Library Trustees of changes in, external standards and requirements that affect the Library, such as GASB, GAAP, GAAS, grant documents, state and federal legislation, and IRS regulations.
- Manages the annual budget process by coordinating, compiling, analyzing, and presenting the annual fiscal operating budget for the Library and administering the approved budget.
- Coordinates capital budget allocations and cash drawdowns.
- Oversees the day-to-day accounting, cash management and payroll operations for the Library.
- Presents monthly and annual finance reports to the Board of Library Trustees and senior management.
- Evaluates fiscal practices, advises library management of results, recommends improvements and potential revenue opportunities, and coordinates changes as appropriate.
- Ensures records systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Negotiates with vendors and customers, and collaborates on major purchasing decisions.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication with Federal, State and County agencies whose laws, policies and regulations affect the library fiscal operations.
- Maintains accounting systems to ensure compliance with grant requirements.
- Reviews and approves monthly and quarterly closing entries and fiscal reports.
- Assists independent auditors in preparation of the annual audit.
- Researches, establishes, maintains and monitors internal controls and accounting policies.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of Fiscal Services Department staff by encouraging and supporting their continued professional development and holding them accountable to department and system-wide goals.
- Serves on, or provides financial guidance to system-wide teams and the Foundation for BCPL.
- MBA degree and CPA certificate and license required, plus comprehensive knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, purchasing, and payroll functions obtained through eight years of progressively responsible work experience and three years of supervisory experience. Knowledge of public library operations and governmental accounting and budgeting preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and to build productive work relationships with BCPL staff, County staff, the Board of Library Trustees, and community stakeholders.
- Demonstrates initiative and effective problem solving and teamwork skills.
- Experience using technology including Microsoft applications and budgeting, accounting, and payroll software.
- Must pass a post offer criminal background check and physical/drug screen.
Position: Information Services Specialist
Location: Eastern Shore Regional Library, Salisbury, MD
ESRL is searching for an innovative and experienced self-starter to perform various tasks associated with our new regional ILS consortium. The consortium provides ILS services to eight county library systems on Maryland’s Eastern Shore (Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester Counties). The work will include, but not be limited to, developing and managing the ILS Help Desk; operating as the regional expert on Polaris’ Circulation, Reporting and PAC modules; tracking and expediting work tickets; assisting the Training Coordinator with the development of Polaris training; and maintaining open lines of communication with our member libraries and Polaris. Travel required throughout the Eastern Shore region as well as some statewide meetings and national
- Thorough knowledge of established library practices and procedures;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of ILS policies and procedures with Polaris experience a plus;
- Strong tech skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and work independently to develop and implement solutions.
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Information Services Manager and working closely with ESRL IT department, Training Coordinator and Graphic Designer
- develops and administers the help desk for the Eastern Shore ILS Consortium (Polaris);
- serves as single point of contact for member libraries, ESRL and Polaris;
- develops and maintains expertise in Polaris circulation and reporting modules, as well as assisting with Polaris PAC customizations;
- provides ILS training to member libraries’ staff;
- manages ESRL’s circulation and Marina (ILL) transactions;
- develops and coordinates a regional Circulation Interest Group.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree or higher (MLS preferred) with three years of progressively responsible, hands-on experience with ILS applications (Polaris preferred), OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary Range: The position offers a hiring salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, negotiable from $42,000/year.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received prior to February 23 will be prioritized.
Location: Severn Community Library, Severn, MD
Salary range: $46,489 – $75,340
Anne Arundel County Public Library invites applications for the position of Librarian
Responsibilities include: Providing library services of reference, readers’ advisory, programming and outreach, and library instruction to the public of all ages. Acts as part of branch’s management team and assists in the management of branch operations, and the supervision of branch staff. May assume responsibility for branch operations as designated person in charge in absence of management.
Minimum Qualifications: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program, one year work experience in a library, and supervisory experience preferred. Bilingual Spanish skills desired.
Necessary Special Requirements: Ability to secure certification as a Professional Public Librarian in the State of Maryland within 120 days following appointment; ability to meet re-certification requirements by completing 90 contact hours of continuing education every 5 years.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and completed AACPL Employment Application Form to Ms. Terry Bowen at email@example.com. To download the AACPL employment application form (Library Information/ Job Announcements) visit our website at http://www.aacpl.net. All required application materials must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on February 19, 2018.
TIMETABLE: Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted no later than February 21, 2018. Interviews will tentatively be held during the week of February 26, 2018. Tentative start date is March 2018.