Position: Digital Curator
Location: Cadence Group – Greenbelt, MD
Originally posted on the University of Maryland blogMLIS.
The Digital Curator will work to help properly collect, manage and prepare data, observing local standards and protocols. The Curator, with training and support from the Digital Project Team, will normalize and prepare the data for ingest into the Library Institutional Repository, using a variety of software systems to maintain and organize data, including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro™, Open Refine, and a variety of custom tools.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and interviewing stakeholders with a variety of stature and backgrounds
- Developing and writing clear explanations of complex concepts in order to facilitate discovery and understanding to laypersons
- Providing weekly status reports, and occasional status presentations to stakeholders
- Coordinating with creators of digital content in order to preserve context
- Applying local and community best practices and standards in a highly consistent manner
- Creating and manipulating data in a variety of formats (such as CSV, XLS, HTML, and XML), including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), and Adobe Acrobat (PDF)
- Working directly with stakeholders across the center upon occasion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a federal library
- Experience in data collection and management
- Advanced training and experience with information services and information science, records management, and/or data management
- Ability to perform related tasks and be comfortable performing the activities listed above
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field; MLS degree from an ALA-accredited institution desired
- Ability to present comfortably in front of a group
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds
- Advanced skills in Adobe Acrobat Pro, Open Refine, and the Microsoft suite of products
To apply, go to this link, complete the short form, and upload your resume:
Position: Part-Time Reference Librarian
Location: Loyola Notre Dame Library- Baltimore, MD
Originally posted on the University of Maryland blogMLIS.
The Loyola ▪ Notre Dame Library is seeking a part-time reference librarian. This individual will work Thursday evenings (5:30-9:30 p.m.), Saturday afternoons (12:00-6:00 p.m.), and the occasional additional weeknight under the direction of the Head of Access, Research & Learning. Hours will vary during summer and intersessions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Staffs the research/information desk; responds to faculty, student, and staff requests for information in person, via phone, email, or chat.
2. Assists faculty and students in finding materials and information using print and non-print sources with the online catalog, databases, related software and internet use.
3. Assists circulation staff with patrons as needed.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to gain a thorough knowledge of Loyola ▪ Notre Dame Library’s policies and procedures;
2. Ability to act as a representative of the Loyola ▪ Notre Dame Library to the public and establish good working relationships with colleagues, students, and faculty.
3. Familiar with the principles, practices, and procedures for academic library service and the ability to interpret them to the staff and the public.
4. Familiar with reference services, practices, and procedures.
1. ALA accredited master’s degree or a current student enrolled in an ALA accredited master’s degree program
2. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
3. Strong interpersonal communication skills
4. Strong public service orientation
The Loyola Notre Dame Library, located in a residential area of northern Baltimore City, is a recently admitted member of University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) and serves two universities: Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning while Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a total population of 7,448 FTE that includes 5,540 FTE at Loyola and 1,908 FTE at Notre Dame.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) work-related references with “Part-Time Reference Librarian” in the subject line to Lorena Dion, Administrative Operations Coordinator: email@example.com.
Position: Science Librarian/Assessment Coordinator
Location: United States Naval Academy- Annapolis, MD
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
The United States Naval Academy invites applications for an exciting position as Science Librarian and Assessment Coordinator. Located on the beautiful Severn River in historic Annapolis, the Naval Academy is a Middle States accredited, top tier liberal arts college and service academy with a diverse student body and a demonstrated commitment to teaching and research. As a member of the Research & Instruction Department, this librarian will provide research assistance, teach information literacy and serve as subject specialist for faculty and midshipmen in Physics, Chemistry, and Oceanography. The librarian in this position will have an essential role in designing and fostering assessment initiatives that align with the priorities of the library and institution. This is a 12 month faculty position with a 3 year renewable appointment, highly competitive salary, and full federal benefits. The position is slated to begin in early 2018. Applications will be reviewed beginning November 1, 2017, but the position will remain open until filled. For more information about the position and how to apply, see: https://www.usna.edu/HRO/jobinfo/researchinstructlib-science17-18.php.