Position: Catalog Librarian
Location: ASRC Federal Space & Defense – Alexandria, VA
- Duties encompass one or more of the following activities, copy and original cataloging using RDA standards.
- Cataloging both physical and digital materials. Ensuring collections are updated and maintained (both physical and electronic collections).
- Following Government and contract procedures for cataloging library materials, and maintenance of current cataloging records.
- Contributing to collection inventory efforts. May perform general research including the use Internet and online databases.
- Compiles library statistics and analyzes data for the operation of the library information center as required for USPTO wide reporting.
- Works independently under overall project objectives and requirements.
- Masters in Library Science plus three years library/information center experience. Education requirement may be waived by extensive demonstration of practical experience in the field.
- Experience with copy cataloging using OCLC.
- Experience in original cataloging.
- Processes discards
- Acts as a backup to other cataloging staff members
- Experience converting the existing/legacy ILS records to RDA Standard
- Experienced in Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Catalogers must have expertise in one or more ILS (Integrated Library Systems), (e.g. Horizon, the current online catalog at PTO), current MARC/Conser standards as well as RDA, AACR2, and LC classification systems.