Position: Youth Services Manager (Librarian II)
Location: Burke Branch Library – Alexandria, VA
Full vacancy announcement available on ALA JobList.
The Youth Services Manager is responsible for operations of the Burke Branch Library Youth Services Team and reports to the Branch Manager.
- Supervises one part-time Library Assistant and one part-time Library Page.
- Plans and implements educational programs and literacy initiatives including summer reading programs for children ages 0-12.
- Collaborates with the Teen Services Coordinator to plan and implement programs and initiatives for young adults.
- Coordinates collection development and maintenance of children’s materials
- Assists children, caregivers, parents, teachers, etc. with requests for information and library materials.
- Coordinates outreach activities with Alexandria City Public Schools, the Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities, and related organizations providing Youth Services in the community.
- Stays aware of professional trends and continually works to improve youth services.
- Functions as building officer in the Branch Manager’s absence.
- Weeds and updates the collection and evaluates print and digital resources.
- Participates on system Youth Services Committee and other committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of children’s and young adult literature, programming and services
- Management and supervisory skills, including team building, time management, and planning
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Knowledge of integrated library systems and technology
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing library environment
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Prior supervisory experience is preferred
Master’s Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school; at least five years of experience in professional library work, including three or more years of experience in a supervisory capacity at the level of Librarian I; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Foreign languages skills preferred.