Position: Historical Librarian and Archivist
Location: Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
A unique opportunity exists at the Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs and Executive Director of the Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HS/HSL), the Historical Collections Librarian and Archivist develops and oversees the historical collections of the founding library of the University System of Maryland. These collections reflect the history, heritage, and growth of the schools and disciplines of the University of Maryland, Baltimore. Working collaboratively with the UMB Digital Archives team, the incumbent in this position casts their vision forward to build digital collections of significance related to the history of UMB and the HS/HSL.
• Curation and maintenance of the historical and special collections of the Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore.
• Outreach to, and nurturing of relationships with the various schools, units, and alumni associations.
• Providing historical reference and genealogical support to university administration, fund raisers, individual researchers, public relations staff, alumni, and other organizations, locally and around the world.
• Presentations, as needed and requested, advancing the strategic priorities of the HS/HSL related to historical and special collections.
• Maintenance of the Historical/Special Collections web pages (http://www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/resources/historical/).
• Maintaining and growing the UMB Alumni database.
• Collaborating with the UMB Digital Archives team to assist in the identification, collection, and curation of contemporary documents judged to be of historical significance for the archive of the history of the HS/HSL and UMB.
• Identifying historical resources (pre-1945) for digitization and inclusion in the UMB Digital Archive.
• Service on the HS/HSL’s Exhibits, Displays, and Promotions Committee.
• Participating actively on university committees related to the history of UMB.
• Maintaining relevant professional affiliations and pursuing research and professional development activities.
• ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree
• Specialization or experience in archives or historical collections
• Three to five years’ experience in an academic library or relevant coursework supportive of the position duties
• Experience with handling, storing, and managing historical and rare books; conversant with and knowledgeable about developments in the history of books and printing
• Outstanding research and detective skills, curiosity, and the ability to focus and dig deep for answers in esoteric and specialized resources
• Experience with historical reference resources such as Garrison’s History of Medicine and Morton’s Medical Bibliography
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Knowledge of new archival and digital technologies for the preservation and dissemination of historic content
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• An undergraduate degree or comparable background in biological or health sciences
• Experience and knowledge of historical developments, particularly in medicine and related fields
• Experience with scanners and other preservation technologies
• Working knowledge of a major European language such as Latin, German, French, or Spanish
• Experience creating exhibits and displays
• Experience with grant-writing and extramural funding
• Evidence of professional and scholarly activities
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by September 22, 2017. For more information, visit our website at http://www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/.
MINIMUM SALARY: $60,000 commensurate with experience