Position: Customer Services Evening Supervisor
Location: Loyola Notre Dame Library
Originally posted on the Maryland Library Association listserv.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is looking for an enthusiastic, customer service oriented, and responsible individual to join our Access, Research, and Learning Department as the Customer Services Evening Supervisor. Reporting to the Head of Customer Services, this position supervises the Customer Services desk during evening hours, working Sunday through Thursday, 3:30 pm–11:30 pm, hours will vary during summer and intersessions. The successful candidate will assist library patrons by circulating material, providing information services suppport, troubleshooting technology and hardware problems, and ensuring building security. The Customer Services Evening Supervisor also supervises student employees, manages stack maintenance, coordinates and compiles departmental statistics and completes other duties as assigned.
- Serve as the customer services supervisor Sunday through Thursday evenings from 3:30pm – 11:30pm. Regulates that the library building is comfortable and secure for patrons in collaboration with Loyola Security.
- Manage circulation functions, assists with print accounts and printing issues for library users.
- Train and supervise evening Customer Services student employees in collaboration with the Head of Customer Services, creates training materials as needed for Customer Services student employees.
- Assist the Interlibrary Loan unit with processing lending requests using resource sharing management systems and scanning equipment.
- In partnership with the Head of Circulation, oversee shelving, shelf-reading, inventorying, shifting and cleaning of library materials.
- Assist patrons in locating materials, providing appropriate referrals for research support to reference librarians or 24/7 virtual reference where necessary.
- Provide technical support for equipment in the auditorium, screening room, microfilm and media areas.
- In collaboration with the Head of Circulation, liaisons, and evening reference librarians, oversee, coordinate and mount book exhibits at the entrance to the library.
- Coordinate data collection for the circulation
- Serve on library and other committees as appropriate. Attend training classes, seminars and meetings to increase skills and keep up to date on library circulation trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of customer service experience in a library or comparable public service environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, with a focus on commitment to delivering high quality customer service.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to be creative and work independently with little supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile statistics using established software.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of, email systems, internet web browsers and desktop office applications including Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to adapt to changes in policies, procedures and technology.
- Experience providing high quality customer service in an academic library with a demonstrated understanding of academic library functions and standards and the Library of Congress Classification System;
- Working knowledge of integrated library systems including Aleph and ILLIAD;
- Experience supporting the use of AV equipment in multiple formats, high speed scanners, and microfilm readers;
- Interest in exploring and supporting emerging technologies.
The Library offers an excellent benefits package that includes medical, access to dental, life, and disability insurance, as well as TIAA retirement. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre‐employment background check.
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) work-related references with “Customer Service Evening Supervisor” in the subject line to Lorena Dion, Administrative Operations Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position: Part-Time Reference Librarian
Location: Loyola Notre Dame Library, Baltimore, MD
The Loyola Notre Dame Library is seeking a part-time reference librarian. This individual will work 4 hours per week on Sunday evenings and the occasional weeknight under the direction of the Head of Access, Research & Learning. Hours will vary during summer and intersessions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staffs the research/information desk; responds to faculty, student, and staff requests for information in person, via phone, email, or chat.
- Assists faculty and students in finding materials and information using print and non-print sources with the online catalog, databases, related software and internet use.
- Assists circulation staff with patrons as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gain a thorough knowledge of Loyola ▪ Notre Dame Library’s policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of the Loyola ▪ Notre Dame Library to the public and establish good working relationships with colleagues, students, and faculty.
- Familiar with the principles, practices, and procedures for academic library service and the ability to interpret them to the staff and the public.
- Familiar with reference services, practices, and procedures.
- ALA accredited master’s degree or a current student enrolled in an ALA accredited master’s degree program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong public service orientation
The Loyola Notre Dame Library, located in a residential area of northern Baltimore City, is a recently admitted member of University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) and serves two universities: Loyola University Maryland and Notre Dame of Maryland University. Loyola University Maryland, a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, is recognized for excellence in teaching and learning while Notre Dame of Maryland University is a leader in the education of women and non-traditional students. The Library serves a total population of 7,448 FTE that includes 5,540 FTE at Loyola and 1,908 FTE at Notre Dame
Review of applications will begin immediately. Please submit electronically a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) work-related references with “Part-Time Reference Librarian” in the subject line to Lorena Dion, Administrative Operations Coordinator: email@example.com.