Position: Part-Time Reference Librarian
Location: George Mason University Law Library – Arlington, VA
Originally posted on the Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, D.C. Jobline:
The George Mason University Law Library invites applications for a part-time reference librarian vacancy.
1. Provide reference assistance to faculty, students, alumni, and public patrons in the library reference office via in-person, telephone, and email consultation.
2. Assist students who are engaged in researching and writing a note or comment of publishable quality for their Scholarly Writing class by reviewing and commenting on research outlines, meeting with students by appointment, and assisting those who stop by the Reference Office without an appointment.
3. Provide teaching assistance in the Legal Research Writing and Analysis program (“LRWA”), including occasional evening teaching.
4. Assist with keeping research guides up-to-date and well maintained.
5. Perform faculty and project research as assigned by and to assist the full-time Reference Librarians.
6. Other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Required—J.D. and an ALA-approved MLS (or equivalent degree) with law library reference experience. A J.D. with library reference experience and enrollment in an MLS program may substitute for the MLS degree requirement. Teaching or training experience is preferred.
Hours: 20 hours per week, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., plus some evening teaching.
Location: On-site in the Law Library.
Position begins: July 31, 2017 (some flexibility on start date).
Reports to: Head of Reference and Instructional Services.
Compensation: Hourly wage, commensurate with experience.
Parking/Metro/Bicycle: Parking is not provided by employer and is on-street at metered parking spaces, or in a pay-for garage. The Law Library is a five-minute walk from the Metro Orange and Silver lines’ Virginia Square/GMU station. Metro fare is not provided by employer. The campus is equipped with bicycle racks, both outside and covered inside the parking garage.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Ellen Feldman, Head of Administrative and Access Services, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.