Position: Associate Librarian
Location: Space Telescope Science Institute, Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, MD
Full posting available on ALA Joblist.
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), located on the Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, MD, is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled to launch in 2018. Take part in work at the forefront of astronomy in a job that offers a competitive salary and generous benefits.
STScI is seeking an Associate Librarian to assist in providing essential information services and resources for research, special projects, and the ongoing work of the Institute as well as the wider astronomical community.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Assists STScI staff and visitors with locating needed resources.
2. Assists in acquiring, providing, and especially maintaining needed information in print and non-print formats for scientific, technical, and support staff.
3. Assists Library Technician and Chief Librarian with day-to-day functions of library: e-journals maintenance, maintaining physical collection, ILL reciprocal borrowings and mailings, and processing some archival materials.
4. Fills in for Chief Institute Librarian and Library Technician in their absence.
5. Communicates with e-journal providers, both direct publisher and third party subscription management company. Updates accounts and tracks usage statistics. Recommends collection accession/de-accession to Chief Librarian through knowledge of use statistics, esp. for online subscriptions.
6. Using OCLC Connexion and EOS Web ILS, performs original and copy cataloging of print and online materials using Library of Congress (LC) classification scheme and subject headings. Requires knowledge of AACR2 and familiarity with new RDA standard. Must understand MARC21 format and its implementation by OCLC and the Library of Congress and apply them in a local setting.
7. Performs authority control using current rule interpretations and reviews unauthorized headings in new records and those already existing in ILS to bring them in compliance with national standards.
8. Exercises discretion and independent judgment in cataloging resources, rule interpretation, and application of metadata. Enhances records to ensure they are discoverable for the research community.
9. Assists other library staff in understanding catalog formats and rule interpretations and consults with library staff as needed to make decisions.
10. Works with Library Technician in overseeing maintenance of print journal and observatory publications, including bindery operations.
11. Works with ebook vendors to automate routine record delivery into ILS and enhances records as needed.
12. Communicates ideas for improvements to existing library workflows and methods oftargeted information delivery within and connected to the library; works with staff at the institute to move forward on implementation and project completion.
13. Remains current on and informs library and institute staff of major changes in the greater information services world; participates in marketing efforts of the library.
14. Improves and updates STScI library web page on an ongoing basis in conjunction with IT staff.
15. Assists with one or more additional library projects such as identifying materials to be included and tagged in the Hubble Space Telescope bibliography, digital archiving, ORCID implementation, or the Unified Astronomy Thesaurus.