Position: Research Librarian
Location: Finnegan – Washington, D.C.
Originally posted on the Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, D.C. listserv.
Reporting to the manager of library services, the research librarian will be a key member of the research team within our library services department. The person in this role will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks that support the delivery of firm-wide library research services including: conducting timely and cost-effective research and document retrieval upon request, recommending appropriate research services and/or resources in response to inquiries from firm personnel, providing client development research support, participating in library training initiatives, and assisting the manager of library services with special projects as needed. Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Specific Job Duties
§ Provides legal, business, scientific, technical and other documents upon request using both internal and outside sources
§ Provides extensive legal, business, IP and general research assistance using print and electronic resources
§ Helps recommend appropriate research services and/or resources in response to inquiries from firm personnel as needed
§ Initiates and monitors alerts from various databases
§ Provides client development research support, including background research and competitive intelligence on current or potential clients and markets
§ A minimum of 3 or more years of relevant experience in a law library or corporate setting
§ MLS degree, or other advanced degree strongly preferred
§ Demonstrated research skills and knowledge of legal and business databases such as Lexis/LexisAdvance, Westlaw, ProQuest Dialog, CourtLink, and Hoover’s
Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP is dedicated to advancing the ideas, discoveries, and innovations that drive businesses around the world. From offices in the United States, Europe, and Asia, our lawyers work with leading corporations and innovators to protect, advocate, and leverage their most important intellectual property assets. Our diverse client base covers a range of industries and technologies, including biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, industrial manufacturing, electrical components, medical devices, and computer technologies.
Finnegan’s practice includes all aspects of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret law, including counseling, prosecution, licensing, and litigation. We also represent clients on IP issues related to international trade, portfolio management, the Internet, e-commerce, government contracts, antitrust, and unfair competition.
Finnegan is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information and to apply online visit http://www.finnegan.com/staff/opportunities/OppDetail.aspx?job=248.
Position: Assistant Librarian
Location: Pepper Hamilton – Washington, D.C.
Originally posted on the Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, D.C. listserv. Full vacancy announcement also available at the Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, D.C. Jobline:
Pepper Hamilton LLP has an opening for an Assistant Librarian in their DC office.
The Assistant Librarian manages all collection and technical services for the Washington office and provides ready reference and research services as needed. In addition, the Assistant assists with implementation and training for all online services and resources and is an active member of the national library team serving the library and information needs of attorneys and staff firm-wide.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain technical services support for all library functions. Coordinate all internal library automation systems with the electronic services librarian in Philadelphia. Maintain SoftLink serials database. Check-in and route mail. Process all new library materials. Collect, organize and process invoices and miscellaneous bills as directed.
• Coordinate acquisition and cataloging of all new print materials with collection services librarian in Philadelphia.
• Provide custodial care of the library. Responsible for general upkeep and appearance of library. Restock carrels and tables with supplies. Maintain library stock of office supplies Track down “missing” library materials. File all newsletters, periodicals, newspapers and daily releases
• Provide reference and research assistance as requested and required.
• Manage inter-library loan and document retrieval services. Provide pick-up service for documents at various federal agencies as needed. Handle all photocopy requests and case pulls from library patrons
• Support the librarian’s relationships with both print and online vendors. Assist with implementation and roll-out of new products.
• Participate in all library orientation programs for new attorneys and staff and contribute to any documentation and orientation materials.
• Supervise outside filing service. Locate “off shelf” materials needed for filing. File any materials not handled by filing service.
• Maintain all equipment and machines in the library. Reorder toner and paper when necessary.
• Bill time as appropriate in accordance with the established methods and patterns.
• Collaborate with the Washington office librarian on the disaster recovery program for the library.
• Assist with planning and events for National Library Week.
• Monitor and enforce the Firm’s copyright compliance policy.
• Work with other Pepper librarians as a member of the national library team. Assist other library staff as requested.
• Participate in firm-wide or office specific teams and projects as appropriate.
• Develop an effective network of resources both legal and non-legal outside the office. Establish good working relationships with law library personnel in other firms.
• Participate in local and national professional organizations. Attend meetings and continuing education programs to monitor new developments in the field and to establish and maintain professional contacts.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
General computer skills and expertise; knowledge of Outlook, MS Word, and Excel; expertise with all relevant online services, including, but not limited to, LexisNexis, CourtLink, Bloomberg Law, Hoovers, Accurint, Dialog, Intelligize, etc.; excellent oral and written communication skills; strong commitment to quality service; ability to be an effective team member.
Related Training and Education Required
Master’s Degree in Library Science; Minimum 2-3 years law firm library experience.
To Apply for this Position:
Email Anastasia Huvelle firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume, cover letter and writing sample.
Position: Research Services Librarian
Location: Georgetown University Law Library – Washington, D.C.
Full vacancy announcement available at AALL Career Center:
Georgetown University Law Library is seeking applications for a Research Services Librarian position, based in the Williams Law Library.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Library Research Services, this position participates in the planning, development, implementation and administration of the library’s research services which support the research needs of the law center, focusing on the individual scholarly and educational pursuits of the law faculty, administration and student body.
In this capacity, the Research Services Librarian participates in managing and training of the Research Services Student Assistants. The Research Services Librarian also participates in the general functioning of the Patron Services Section, including such duties as participating in the reference desk rotation, holding individual research consultations with patrons, and participating in the faculty liaison program.
M.L.S. or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited library school; one to three years of professional library experience; some reference experience; knowledge of legal systems and resources; excellent oral and written communication skills.
J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school or significant law library experience. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. To apply for this position, please submit applications via the Georgetown University Human Resources Joblist web site using Job Number 20160201 . Address applications to Joseph W. Thomas, Deputy Director, and include a cover letter, a current resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin April 18, 2016.
Georgetown University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Internal Number: 20160201
Position: Law Librarian
Location: Washington, DC
Originally posted on the UMD iSchool MLS listserv.
Prestigious boutique law firm seeks in Washington, DC a dynamic Law Librarian to assist its top-tier communications, trademark and energy practices. This position is responsible for managing the operations of the library, offering professional law library services to attorneys/staff, and performing substantive research and marketing duties. Additional responsibilities include preparing and monitoring budgets, managing the firm’s social media presence, maintaining and expanding its Intranet portal, assisting with the external promotion of the firm, and monitoring legislative and policy developments.
The firm provides competitive compensation and benefits, and an enjoyable, good-natured work environment. The firm is consistently involved in cutting-edge legal, policy, transactional, and business issues for a broad array of industry-leading clients. This firm has also managed to avoid strict hierarchies, thick policy manuals, or a bureaucratic outlook.
This position is ideally suited for someone who is capable of working independently, with minimal supervision, and equally well as part of a team.
MLS or equivalent advanced degree preferred
Significant legal research experience required
Minimum 5 years’ experience in library management, web design and/or marketing preferred
Demonstrated aptitude for research and analysis
Experience with a wide variety of electronic resources such as Lexis, Bloomberg BNA, and other standard law library applications.
Compensation based on experience.
Please direct all inquiries, resume and cover letter to Karyn T. at: email@example.com