Job Title: Reference Librarian – School Of Law
Job ID: 30488
Location: Howard University, Washington, D.C.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Originally posted to UMD iSchool listserv. Full vacancy announcement available at Howard University website:
Howard University Mission
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of the Vice President for Human Resources at (202) -238-5960.
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines.
Under direction, provides in-person, telephone and electronic ready reference and in-depth reference service to law students, law faculty, Howard University patrons and other patrons.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include working with faculty, library staff, students and members of the public, under the immediate direction of the Assistant Director for Public Services. External contacts include visitors and the general public.
Provides instruction and guidance for law school faculty and students on the use of electronic resources.
Instructs patrons in the use of traditional and electronic research resources.
Develops tools for patron education, such as research guides and writing articles.
Participates in a rotating reference schedule including evenings and weekends.
Participates in the faculty librarian liaison program.
Provides circulation assistance as needed.
Assists with library projects, such as shelf reading, collection shifts and weeding.
Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Demonstrated knowledge of hardware and software used in academic law libraries and the ability to judge the appropriateness of electronic applications to a particular situation.
Thorough knowledge of reference services processes
Knowledge of library and information networks.
Strong oral and written communication skills.
Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
Ability to provide instruction to staff and patrons on library research techniques.
Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with staff, faculty, students and library patrons.
Masters degree in Library Science from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited institution.
Traditional and electronic legal research skills and experience highly desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of the Assistant Vice President for Human Resource Management at (202) 806-5500.
For more information and to apply visit https://careers.howard.edu/psc/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL
Position: Research Analyst
Location: Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP, San Francisco, Silicon Valley or Washington D.C.
Originally posted on Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, D.C. Jobline:
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP, a large international law firm, is seeking a Research Analyst for our Research and Information Services Department. This position can be located in either our San Francisco, Silicon Valley or Washington D.C. offices. This position will be part of our team of attorneys, paralegals and support staff providing a high level of service to both internal and external clients. At Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP, we are one team where each person plays an integral role in serving the needs of our clients. The firm has a strong dedication to its employees, values, diversity and inclusion initiatives and commitment to the community.
The primary responsibility of the Research Analyst is to provide research and reference services to legal professionals across the firm. In addition to having a broad research background, the successful candidate should also have a solid background in patent research. This position is also responsible for assisting with other library administrative duties as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Provide comprehensive research and reference services, in particular patent research, and preliminary analysis for the firm’s attorneys and staff on legal and non-legal issues.
· Provide training and support in research, including computer assisted legal research.
· Assist users in the selection and use of print and electronic research tools.
· Prepare training materials and provides instruction in the use of library resources, legal databases, and Internet resources.
· Work with practice groups and marketing department on competitive intelligence projects.
· Coordinate interlibrary loans and document delivery.
· Participate in collecting and developing intranet resources.
· Compile legislative histories and bibliographies.
· Monitor online databases for practice-specific information.
· Review professional publications, establish personal networks, and participate in professional associations.
· Other library administrative duties as assigned.
· MLS or equivalent advanced degree required.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in law library environment.
· Experience with a wide variety of electronic resources such as the Westlaw, Proquest Dialog, Patbase, Orbit, Docket Navigator, CCH, and BNA and other standard law library applications.
· Experience conducting in-depth research and analysis of Intellectual Property data to assemble, analyze and deliver patent, trademark and copyright information to attorneys and legal administrators.
· Proficiency using library OPAC.
· Demonstrated aptitude for research and analysis.
· Communicates effectively orally and in writing.
· Loyalty to the interests of the firm, cooperative and flexible, with a team-oriented attitude.
· Displays professional conduct and courtesy in relationships with attorneys and staff.
· Takes initiative and responsibility in the areas of assigned work.
· Dependable with attendance and punctuality.
· Maintains honesty, confidentiality, and ethical conduct.
This is a full-time, regular position with generous benefits. Interested applicants should apply online, or submit their resume to: StaffRecruiter-SFO@kilpatricktownsend.com. Any email attachments should be in WORD or PDF format only. Due to volume, we will only contact those applicants we wish to screen. Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about our firm, please visit our website at http://www.kilpatricktownsend.com