Job Title: Librarian (Collections)
Department: Department Of Labor
Salary Range: $52,668.00 to $68,465.00 / Per Year
Open Period: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 to Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Series & Grade: GS-1410-09
Duty Locations: Washington DC
The Department of Labor has an opening for a Librarian (collections). Full vacancy announcement available at USAJOBS:
1. Serves as Collections Librarian with responsibility for maintaining the control, access, and maintenance of the library’s print, audiovisual, electronic, and microfilm collections. Assists as part of a team in providing reference services, literature searches, and bibliographic services based on questions received from individuals.
2. Leads collection management activities which include prioritizing material for digitation, reviewing collections for preservation needs, processing of donations, reviewing and recommending weeding and retention for all areas of the library’s collections.
3. Works closely to assist the Systems Librarian in managing the digitization of library resources and creation of metadata to make research and information materials more widely available using existing library systems.
4. Monitors and evaluates customer utilization to assist in future services.
5. Assists in coordinating ongoing training on resources available to customers and library staff.
6. Keeps current on library trends, scholarly communications, and the evolving role of libraries and their collections.
7. Works as part of a team to evaluate new library automation developments such as online public access catalogs, online circulation systems, full-text databases, and the provision of federal government publications in electronic format.
8. Represents the Library on internal and external committees concerning library plans, policies and activities.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Job Title: Museum Technician (Anthropology)
Agency: Smithsonian Institution
Salary Range: $43,057.00 to $55,970.00 / Per Year
Open Period: Thursday, September 24, 2015 to Thursday, October 8, 2015
Series & Grade: GS-1016-07
Position Information: Fulltime, TERM Not-To-Exceed 4 years – Federal
Duty Locations: Washington DC
The Smithsonian Institution has an opening for a Museum Technician Full vacancy announcement available at USAJOBS:
Compiles and tabulates data necessary for repatriation-related collection research on North American Native American archaeological, physical, and ethnology collections.
Carries out routine and special duties connected with the maintenance of the collections as encountered in collections targeted for repatriation, including filing of specimens in their proper place, reorganization of storage space, etc.
Assists in preparing specimens for deaccession and maintaining transaction records.
Provides assistance and readily accessible information to repatriation-related visitors to Museum; orients them in the use of the collections and records.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Location: ZAI – Washington, DC
ZAI has an opening for a Librarian. Originally posted to UMD iSchool listserv.
ZAI has an immediate need for an entry level Librarian for our project located in Washington, DC. This is an excellent opportunity for someone considering or working on their MLS with an interest in law or special libraries. Because it is a diverse library, you’ll be exposed to the overall operations of a library that serves legal staff, economists, and engineers.
Working under the guidance and supervision of the Library Director, you will provide support for general library operations, assist with patron inquiries, and man the front desk. Will be responsible for record keeping (statistics), processing of materials received returned from patrons, shelving and stack maintenance. Will provides general assistance to patrons locating volumes or other sources of information.
Search online library catalogs, bibliographic sources, legal information services, and the Internet to provide ready reference support.
Assist users via the phone, email and in person in finding information and using material.
Maintain loose-leaf services.
Perform circulation and re-shelving duties.
Perform stack maintenance duties, including shifting and weeding.
Perform special projects, as directed.
Update the library’s website.
Create library marketing materials and the library newsletter.
Manage inter-library loan requests.
Generate statistic reports.
Maintain a list of recommended titles.
Create and update library guides.
Must be reliable and punctual.
Ability to work both independently and under specific direction.
Willingness and ability to learn library procedures and reference skills.
Ability to attend to details; high tolerance for repetitive routine; good judgment to identify variations requiring special handling.
Ability to learn use of online searching, word processing, and specialized databases.
Ability to adapt to changes of procedures, routines, and job responsibilities.
Ability to work well with other members of a team and to rotate job responsibilities.
Commitment to providing high-quality library service to all users; strong customer service focus.
Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel, including management staff and support staff.
Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
Ability to follow up and follow through.
Ability to be flexible and maintain a professional manner in all situations.
Education, experience and skills required:
Bachelor’s degree required, current work towards Masters in Library Science preferred.
Some library experience desirable.
Excellent interpersonal, language and telephone skills.
Strong written and verbal communications skills.
Knowledge of HTML or experience using website development software (e.g. Dreamweaver) desired.
For more information and to apply visit http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ZAIINC&cws=40&rid=632