Position: Reference and Instruction Librarian
Location: University of Baltimore’s Langsdale Library – Baltimore, MD
Originally posted on UMD iSchool listserv.
The University of Baltimore’s Langsdale Library is seeking an enthusiastic individual to serve as a Reference and Instruction Librarian. Responsibilities include teaching a three-credit information literacy course for undergraduate students, providing reference service, and participating in the library’s information literacy program. The successful candidate will be able to work as part of a team involved in the continual assessment of the library and its services, in order to create an environment that is engaging and approachable. Other duties include assisting with the promotion of library services and creating online research tools. This full-time faculty appointment reports to the Head of Reference. Some weekend and evening hours are required.
Required: MLS from an ALA-accredited library school or equivalent degree and at least one year of library experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills, the ability to work in a team environment, and a strong commitment to public service.
Preferred: One year of professional experience in reference, preferably in an academic library setting, and experience in undergraduate library instruction preferred. Familiarity with business, liberal arts and social science resources. Evidence of initiative and innovation in library services.
This position is open until filled. Instructions for applying can be found at the University Baltimore’s “Jobs at UB” Website: http://www.ubalt.edu/about-ub/offices-and-services/human-resources/jobs-at-ub.cfm?&posting=1000
Position: Community Services Coordinator
Location: Frederick County Public Libraries – Frederick, MD
Originally posted on UMD iSchool listserv.
Community Services Coordinator, Frederick County Public Libraries, Frederick, MD
Salary: $53,604-64,324 Annually. If you love getting out into the community, making connections, and partnering with local organizations, this is the job for you! Located in Central Maryland between Washington D.C. and Baltimore, our rapidly developing system is looking for a dynamic self-starter to develop this brand new position focused on community outreach and innovative adult programming.
Master’s of Library Science from an ALA accredited program and a Minimum 5 years of professional library work experience which includes at least 2 years experience providing programming or outreach to adults
OR – Master’s in Social Science, Social Policy, Communication or other related field and a 5 years professional work experience planning/executing interest-appropriate events and programs for adults
An additional 2 years of the required work experience may reduce the education requirement to a Bachelor’s degree
Minimum 2years experience in aleadership,managerial,orsupervisorycapacity
Possession of a valid automobile operator’s license
Deadline to apply: 4:00 pm October 15, 2015. For complete job description and to apply go to http://www.frederickcountymd.gov
Position: Bioinformationist (Research Information Specialist)
Location: Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore
Originally posted on Maryland Library Association listserv.
A key new member of the Health Sciences and Human Services Library staff, the Bioinformationist provides a range of information and informatics services for University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) researchers in the health and life sciences. Initiating relationships with people working within the University’s scientific community in diverse environments, this position will identify and fulfill needs for information and education services. By providing expert knowledge, specialized research consultations, and training in bioinformatics, this position will help shape innovative services for basic science researchers and expand and strengthen HS/HSL support for the University’s research and informatics initiatives. The Bioinformationist is a member of the HS/HSL Services Division and reports to the Associate Director for Services.
* Initiate, develop and evaluate new services for supporting biomedical researcher’s information, and data organization needs at UMB.
* Provide expertise on a range of bioinformatics databases and tools such as those offered by NCBI; partner with library colleagues to deliver workshops on these tools.
* Develop and deliver training and aids for researchers in areas relating to basic science research.
* Deliver expert consulting to groups and individuals working with research data; advise researchers on locating data available for re-use and on appropriate repositories for sharing data.
* Collaborate with library colleagues to offer comprehensive, quality research services.
* Participate in multidisciplinary research teams and projects throughout the University.
* Foster cooperative working relationships between the University translational science community and the library.
* Build partnerships with the University’s BioPark, a community of life science companies and academic research centers.
* Participate actively as a member of University groups, national and local professional associations, and engage in scholarly and service activities.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s degree in a basic science such as biology, molecular biology, genetics or related field.
Experience: Experience using a range of bioinformatics databases and tools such as those offered by NCBI required; Preference given to post-doctoral experience, programming experience, and/or experience with statistical software such as SPSS, SAS.
Preferred Education: PhD is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Skill in using current technologies for teaching, learning and research.
* Knowledge of evolving national data management policies and research data, including its storage, retrieval, and sharing.
* Demonstrated commitment to a user-centered philosophy.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Strong presentation and instruction skills.
* Ability to thrive in a future-oriented environment and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues.
Salary Range: Up to $60,000 commensurate with education and experience
Posting Date: 09/25/15
Application Deadline: 10/15/15
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-22581-800-735-2258 FREE
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.