The Librarian manages and plans overall library operations in the local office. This position provides research, reference, and training assistance to library patrons. The Librarian is responsible for acquisitions, accounting and serials and preparation and monitoring of library budget. The Librarian develops and maintains expertise in the use of a wide variety of legal, business and practice-related resources in multiple formats with increasing emphasis on digital media.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides research and reference services including, but not limited to, locating information and answering reference questions utilizing all available materials, including print and electronic resources.
• Develops and maintains expertise in the use of a wide variety of legal, business and practice-related resources in multiple formats with increasing emphasis on digital media
• Provides library orientation and education in print and electronic resources to library patrons.
• Evaluates, selects and orders library materials including print and electronic resources to achieve desired support in a legal environment, and considers factors such as availability of resource in other Bryan Cave office libraries when making these decisions.
• Provides research support locally as well as Firmwide as needed.
• Actively participates in teleconferences with BC librarians and attends Firm wide library conferences as scheduled.
• Prepares and monitors library budget.
• Monitors appropriate billing of online services to the extent possible.
• Records and reports research projects and time using DTE and reference request databases in a manner that meets deadlines and assists the Firm in cost recovery
• Pays invoices using Firm and L&RS systems and checks in and routes local serials.
• Performs duties as assigned.
Essential Job Specifications/Qualifications:
• Familiarity with library database system(s).
• Demonstrated ability to do research manually and in a variety of on-line databases including Westlaw, Lexis, CCH, BBNA and other legal and non-legal services.
• General knowledge of legal publications and law library set up
• Clear, concise and effective verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with both lawyers and Firm personnel.
• Flexibility and adaptability to new, challenging situations and changing work environment.
• Proven business and customer service orientation.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
• Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited school.
• Experience in law library. Law firm library experience strongly preferred.
• Budgetary experience a plus.
For more info or to apply, please go to www.bryancave.com and click on Opportunities and Professional Staff.