Job ID: 12788
Job Title: Research Specialist
Organization Name : Advanced Resources Technologies, Inc.
Employment Start Date: ASAP
Job Description: Summary
Provide in-depth research assistance to senior level research and development engineers and scientists in a variety of cutting edge scientific programs and defense technologies. Assist central research staff in supporting efforts to inform and engage agency personnel regarding available services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Collaborate with clients and staff to develop research approaches to support program and agency requirements.
• Perform research related to specific programs using online subscription databases and journals including, but not limited to, IEEE, ACM, American Physical Society (APS), various open web, defense-specific and STEM-related resources.
• Provide reference searches and compile data and information from a wide range of resources for client requests.
• Obtain electronic and print materials on behalf of government personnel through either OCLC or coordination with partners in the scientific and defense communities.
• Maintain access to electronic resources and information materials through an internal portal page.
• Assist in new employee orientations and help train clients on the use of web resources.
• Provide regular communications to Agency personnel including informational updates and weekly newsletters.
• Serve as a liaison to one or more Agency offices with specific technology focus areas.
General Office Support
• Perform administrative duties such as answering the telephone, filing, scanning and copying.
• Track and distribute subscription materials to Agency personnel.
• Search for technical reports in DTIC and coordinate their inclusion into an internal repository.
• Catalog acquisitions, track overdue items, and update and monitor ILL requests.
• Enter all tasks, as appropriate, into an internal tracking system.
• Track monthly statistics and report findings to Manager.
• Lead in the development and implementation of special projects in support of Research Services outreach efforts.
• Collaborate with Research Services team to execute project goals.
• Investigate new services and tools that may be of interest to the Agency.
• Monitor and compile news sources for contribution to weekly Agency newsletters.
• Provide backup support in processing documents and information for public release.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• ALA-accredited MLS preferred or BS/BA with 1-2 years of library/research experience.
• 1-2 years of library/research experience or previous work providing research support.
• Demonstrate a working knowledge of print and electronic resources for scientific and defense research.
• Experience developing outreach, communication or marketing strategies.
• Highly organized, detail-oriented individual who is self-motivated, reliable, energetic and outgoing.
• Customer-friendly and able to adapt search approaches to individual client requirements.
• Demonstrates effective teamwork, including ability to collaborate/communicate to achieve a common goal.
• Eager and enthusiastic to learn about research in a wide variety of scientific subject areas.
• Experience using information technologies and visualization tools to support research requests.
Skills & Knowledge
• Strong organization/time management skills with ability to meet short deadlines, and simultaneous complex search requests.
• Familiarity with online databases such as IEEE, ACM, and other STEM-related resources
• Familiarity and/or some experience with web development software such as SharePoint.
• Must be detail-oriented and able to demonstrate initiative for individual and team projects.
• Strong MS Office skills, including spreadsheet management and the ability to create charts and graphs.
• Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret project result/data effectively through written reports and presentations.