Calvert Library is seeking a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative leader to serve as our library director. Under the policy guidance and direction of the Board of Trustees, the ideal candidate will work with our talented staff and community to maintain and build upon our reputation of excellence in providing materials, programs and services that meet the needs of 90,000 residents. The four branches are geographically situated to better serve our residents. The main library building of 28,000 square feet was opened in 2006. The library has two outreach vehicles, 54.2 FTE, circulation over 1 million, budget of $3.8 million, and event attendance of 54,000.
Located in beautiful Calvert County, a county with rural character less than an hour south of Washington, DC on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. Excellent schools, low cost of living, low crime rate, access to numerous cultural, recreational and natural attractions in a community/state committed to libraries.
Requirements & Responsibilities (full job description found at http://calvert.lib.md.us/workinghere.html ):
- Strong leadership and library staff management experience, with demonstrated capability in building and managing a high performance, customer service oriented team
- Experience in strategic planning
- Able to maintain and enhance a welcoming and customer service oriented environment
- Open and attuned to emerging technologies, trends, theories, principles and techniques of librarianship
- Experience in budget development, financial management, human resources, and facilities management
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving and conceptual skills
- Keeps informed of library developments through participation in professional organizations
- Serves as advocate for the Library and, in collaboration with the Board of Trustees, liaison with the community, government and media.
- Possess strong written/oral communication and public relations skills
Minimum Qualifications: MLS from ALA-accredited institution; have or be eligible for a Professional Library Director Certification from Maryland State Department of Education; at least 10 years progressively responsible experience; including at least 3 years managerial and supervisory experience in a public library.
Compensation: Starting salary: $84,939. The Library offers competitive health, dental and vision benefits and a Maryland Retirement Plan.
Application: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, application, three (3) professional references and answers to KSA questions that can be found at http://calvert.lib.md.us/workinghere.html. Applications due by March 18, 2013. EOE.
Public Relations Coordinator
850 Costley Way
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Calvert Library…your destination for imagination, information and inspiration!