ADULT SERVICES MANAGER
Librarian II- Full Time
BARRETT BRANCH LIBRARY
The Adult Services Manager is responsible for operations of the Barrett Branch Library Adult Services Team and reports to the Branch Manager.
* Supervises and schedules one full-time Librarian I and one part- time library assistant.
* Interviews and selects new employees.
* Oversees and provides training on the use of the Foundation Center database and collection to the public and library staff.
* Oversees all aspects of public programming and special events including planning, implementation and logistics.
* Answers all types of reference questions using traditional, online, and internet sources.
* Develops and implements goals for unit and programs annually.
* Interprets policies and explains library procedures and rules to the public.
* Functions as building officer in the branch manager’s absence.
* Reviews professional journals and selects titles for purchase;
* Acquires materials in a variety of formats that reflect the diversity and needs of the community.
* Weeds and updates the collection and evaluates print and digital resources.
* Participates on system reference committee.
* Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
* Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and oral.
* Knowledge of automated integrated library systems and comfort with technology.
* Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
* Familiarity with reference services using a variety of print and electronic resources.
* Ability to work well with other staff, both in adult services and across departments.
* Some supervisory experience preferred.
* Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school
* One year of experience at the level of a Librarian I, experience in general reference, some supervisory experience preferred.
* Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Salary: $49,540.67 – $79,601.81 Annually. The City’s promotional policy states that an employee who is promoted will receive an 8.5% increase plus transition up to the closest step of the new grade, whichever is higher. An employee’s new promotion salary may not exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Schedule: Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the Barrett Branch, and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and occasional Sundays at the Beatley Central Library.
Benefits: Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Send/Fax Cover Letter, Resume and three References to:
Elizabeth Stromme, Barrett Branch Library Manager, Alexandria Library, 717 Queen Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-2420, Phone: 703.746.1711; Fax 703.746.1708; email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or apply online (www.alexandria.lib.va.us)