One of Washington, DC’s best law firms, Crowell & Moring LLP is an international firm which employs over 900 talented attorneys and professionals in the fields of accounting, human resources, administration, information technology, legal support, reference services, and operations. Our firm is AmLaw 100 and growing. We are one of the 100 most prestigious firms in the country to work for according to Vault.com – a unique place where people are valued and exciting careers are built. We can promise that you will love our culture and enjoy working with our energetic team!
We are currently seeking a talented and hard-working Senior Manager, Research Services to work in our Research Services Department. This position will require attention to detail, great organizational and management skills. Don’t miss the opportunity to work for an exciting and dynamic law firm located in the heart of the Penn Quarter.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Manages all firm wide Research Services operations and activities.
- Works with the firm’s business development teams on competitive intelligence projects designed to give senior management information about client, prospective client and competitors’ plans and activities.
- Develops the annual Research Services budget. Manages fiscal reports including monthly budget monitoring, variance reports, big ticket analysis and reconciliation.
- In conjunction with Chief Marketing Officer, determines which services and resources should be offered to the firm based on firm direction, practice areas, client base, culture, economics, infrastructure, competitive advantage, efficiency and personnel. Ensures the continued usage of the best available resources consistent with the firm’s needs and goals.
- Makes recommendations regarding library automation and responds to changing research and informational needs which specifically require electronic delivery.
- Develops and applies consistent policies and procedures in support of firm goals and institutes procedures for the cost-efficient use and acquisition of resources firm wide.
- Implements and manages electronic resource management software to manage passwords, track usage, and provide client validation for electronic research services.
- Develops and implements Research Services orientation and training for new hires and existing attorneys and professional staff, and prepares guides and training documents as needed.
- Negotiates, implements and manages the firm’s Research Services contracts and agreements for resources, services, materials, and equipment.
- Responsible for the professional development of the firm’s Research Services personnel, including professional reference librarians, technical services management and technical services staff.
- Manages collection maintenance activities including but not limited to: shelf reading, shifting, and offsite storage of materials.
- Conducts business, legal, legislative and regulatory research for Firm employees, including attorneys, professional staff and paralegals.
- Assists firm management in physical space planning and long-range planning efforts that involve library collections, professional staff levels and equipment.
- Manages overall content, image and operation of the library Intranet / Portal page.
- Occasional travel is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of legal database search techniques and basic cataloging and legal bibliography.
- Advanced knowledge of Westlaw, WestlawNext Lexis, Westlaw Business, CourtExpress, CourtLink.
- Ability to safely lift, move and carry items without assistance weighing less than 50 pounds.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, with lawyers, firm professional staff, and outside parties and to make presentations to groups in an effective manner.
- Ability to manage subordinate supervisors in a complex work environment to develop a cohesive, effective work unit.
- Ability to analyze and interpret information from a variety of sources, apply critical and creative thinking to draw conclusions or develop solutions to complex problems.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and/or budgeting principles and the ability to track, organize, analyze and report financial data in a clear manner.
- MS degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited institution is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related law firm library experience that included direct supervision of others is required.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We are convenient to all Metro lines and offer reasonably priced on-site parking. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
If you are interested in this opportunity or in exploring other available positions at the Firm, please visit http://www.crowell.com/careers to apply online.
Stephanie E. Paup
Reference & Training Librarian
Crowell & Moring LLP
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20004
(202) 628-5116 Fax