The Nimitz Library, United States Naval Academy, seeks a librarian with experience, ability, energy, initiative and enthusiasm. The Systems Librarian will report to the Head of Systems.
Primary responsibilities of the position include the following:
1. Provides support for the presentation, development, implementation and maintenance of content-rich, well-organized, web-based gateways to information needed by the Naval Academy faculty, midshipmen and staff in their academic and research efforts.
2. Serves as the back-up for the Head of Systems and helps plan and implement hardware and software installations.
3. Provides support for the Web and its Security, Integrated Library System, and planning.
4. Provides troubleshooting support for software, hardware, and network issues.
5. May provide reference/research assistance to midshipmen, faculty, and other library users, using both electronic and paper reference tools.
The Nimitz Library (http://www.usna.edu/Library/) has a dedicated staff of 17 librarians, 10 library technicians, and 2.5 FTE part-time student aides. The print collection of approximately 600,000 books and bound periodical volumes is complemented by a government documents collection by virtue of the library’s depository status, extensive microform collections, e-book collections, an extensive array of online databases, and rich collections in the Special Collections and Archives department.
The Naval Academy, founded in 1845, is the Navy’s undergraduate college, with 4,400 students, approximately 500 military and civilian faculty, and 24 major fields of study in three academic divisions (8 in engineering, 10 in math and science, 6 in humanities and social sciences).
Located in Annapolis, the capital of Maryland, the Naval Academy is 30 miles from Washington, D.C. and 25 miles from Baltimore, in the beautiful Chesapeake Bay area.
Minimum salary is $51,630 (first step of GS-9 pay scale) or higher depending upon experience and other qualifications. The first step of the GS-11 pay grade is $62,467.
1. Experience in an academic or research library providing programming support for the major applications underlying a library’s web environment by creating/modifying web pages and links using appropriate tools.
2. Working knowledge of automated information environment, application software, graphic design, and web-authoring software to be applied to web site and electronic information resource development.
3. Knowledge and experience creating web-based information tools and links for an academic or research library.
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
1. A Master’s degree in Library Science or related field from an ALA-accredited institution of higher learning.
2. Experience with the following software applications: Innovative Interfaces, Inc. and Serials Solutions.
3. Strong public service orientation.
4. Current involvement in the library profession at the local, state, or national level.
Apply via the USNA’s Human Resources Department’s web site under “Competitive Service Positions.
Please note that among other requirements, along with your application you must submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned).
Deadline for applications is January 10, 2014.
(Review of applications will begin December 16, 2013. Applications received after that date will be considered as needed.)
Questions about the position or about the Nimitz Library should be addressed to:
William G. Murray
Head, Systems Department
U.S. Naval Academy
Email: email@example.com or phone (410) 293-6966
The United States Naval Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Patricia R. Patterson
U.S. Naval Academy
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, MD 21402