Cecil County Public Library (CCPL) is seeking applicants for the position of Central Library Branch Manager (Elkton, MD)
CCPL is an award-winning mid-sized library system in Maryland, which has been acknowledged at the local, state and national level for its dedication to education, innovation, and economic development:
2013 MD Library Association – Excellence in Customer Service and Emerging Leader Awards
YALSA – Teen Top Ten
ALA Best of Show – PR Xchange
2012 MD Chamber of Commerce – Non-profit Partner in Business Award
Library Journal – Mover and Shaker
Salem Press – Outstanding Local Blog of the Year
ALA Best of Show – PR Xchange, “My Library My Lifeline”
With 7 branches, a bookmobile and e-branch, CCPL is proud to provide materials and services to 50,000 active card holders and circulate over 1 million items per year.
Join CCPL and become an integral part of the team working towards a common mission:
To provide lifelong educational and cultural opportunities and resources for all, promoting individual and community success.
POSITION: Central Library Branch Manager
GRADE: 11 ($67,461)
DEPARTMENT: Branch Management
LOCATION: Elkton Central Library
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director – Public Services
This professional, managerial and supervisory position is responsible for overseeing the operations of the Elkton Central Library, which is the largest and busiest branch within the Cecil County Public Library (CCPL) system. Additional areas of responsibility include management of the Circulation, Children’s and Adult Services departments, training and development of staff, marketing collections and services, ensuring the delivery of high level customer service through direction and management of staff, quality library materials and services to the public, managing general/routine branch related facility/security issues, and providing collections and staff support for the entire system. In the event of an emergency, the Central Library Branch Manager must be ready and able to provide guidance to the all CCPL branches.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides effective leadership which enables the branch staff to offer efficient service to public in regard to circulation of lending materials, provide excellent library programs for patrons of all ages, deliver informational reference services, technical assistance for various electronic devices and promote lifelong learning.
- Provide reference and reader’s advisory services and interpret library policies and procedures. Assists in the development and maintenance of a full-service, relevant collection for patrons of all ages.
- Oversee and provide branch leadership for the development, implementation, and marketing of creative and effective services and collections in Adult, Children’s, and Circulation departments.
- Supervise, develop, and evaluates staff under his/her direction. Ensures the day-to-day management of branch supervisors via verbal and written communications, regular staff meetings and one-on-one training as needed.
- Provides daily coverage at public service desks within the branch.
- Serves as a member of the Administrative Council. Works closely with Library Administration in the areas of policy, procedure, and staffing for the entire system. New policies, procedures, and equipment often start at the central branch before being implemented system wide.
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for the Library within the broad goals and objectives of CCPL.
- Responsible for interpreting, explaining and implementing the policies and procedures of CCPL, and ensuring that they are carried out in the branch.
- Functions as the go-to branch manager for other branch managers including assisting with questions, providing feedback and guidance.
- Manage and/or coordinate the implementation of projects.
- Serve as Community Liaison to the greater Elkton Community. Represent the library at community and county meetings.
- Actively participates in MLA and its sub-committees.
- Schedule public service staff and substitutes effectively and within budgetary limitations.
- Work with Materials Manager/Selectors, and Adult and Children’s department heads and Outreach. Direct the development, maintenance, and evaluation of collections.
- Work under the direction of and collaboratively with members of Administration to improve CCPL’s services and procedures.
- Resolve patron complaints.
- Participate in interviewing and hiring staff.
- Participate on teams and committees, often at system level and often as team leader or project manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain positive relations with public and staff.
- Performs job in keeping with the policies and procedures of the Cecil County Public Library.
- Demonstrate collaborative, straight forward, team oriented leadership and supervisory methods.
- Model/develop/maintain excellent customer service.
- Maintain courteous, friendly, and constructive relationships with patrons and staff.
Personal computer, telephone, fax, photocopier, AV projection equipment
- Master’s degree in Library Science from a program accredited or recognized as an equivalent by the American Library Association.
- Candidate must have 3-5 years’ experience in management, preferably in a library setting.
- Knowledge of management theory and practices with demonstrated skills and judgment in management and problem solving.
- Considerable supervisory experience at the branch/department head level. Demonstrated skills in staff training and development.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to supervise a combination of supervisors and direct reports at all professional levels.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and market creative and effective public library programs, events, collections, and services.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library collection development and maintenance, marketing, and display.
- Working knowledge of library automation procedures, electronic reference, and use of the Internet for library services.
- Considerable knowledge of user’s interests, authors, books, and new materials formats.
- Ability to analyze and organize effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with supervisors, staff, the community, and members of the public.
- Ability to reach, bend and lift up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to push/pull rolling book carts.
- May recommend materials to be purchased.
- May assist in writing or coordinating press releases.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Works in normal heat and light conditions. Frequent reaching, bending and lifting of up to 35 lbs.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT: Exempt
37.5 hours per week, including scheduled weekend and evening hours. Additional flexibility may be required.
NOTE: Certain conditions, e.g. economic constraints, staffing patterns, may necessitate change in job description.
Staff Development Manager
Cecil County Public Library
301 Newark Avenue
Elkton, MD 21921
Phone: 410-996-1055 ext. 132